Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 03:18 AM

Default $11:Strange betting sequence I see a lot.

The sequence goes like this:Someone raises (proabably me), and a couple of players see the flop (maybe just two). Someone bets 1/10th of the pot. I call. Turn comes, same thing, except now it's probably 1/12th of the pot. River comes, and the other guy goes all-in.

What the heck does this mean? I don't know, because I've never called the last bet, as whatever the dude was pricing me in to draw hasn't it, so I don't get to see.

The most likely explanation to me seems to me he's got some big hand that he's afraid I'll fold to, and on the river he thinks if I've called him twice, I'll call again. Another possibility is a couple of blocking bets followed by a bluff at the end when the draw doesn't hit, but that seems too sophisticated an exaplanation.

I find myself calling these tiny bets even why I don't have anything because I can't bring myself to fold when someone bets 1/10th of the pot.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Re: $11:Strange betting sequence I see a lot.

I think they're "blocking bets". Someone who would have cbet or pbet will many times just call a minbet. I tend to ignore these bets and do what I would've done anyways. i.e. someone bets 15 into a 150 pot, I'll just raise it up to 75 and consider it a half-pot bet rather than a raise. If I would've checked, I'll just call the minbet unless it's 1/5th the pot or so. 1/10th or less I just call if I would've checked. Not sure if this is correct or not, just what I do.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:05 AM

I do the same thing you do; just add the tiny bet to whatever I was going to be if it was checked to me, but call the small bet if I was planning to check (or fold to a normal bet).

I'm just curious about this sequence, as I've seen it a number of times.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:27 AM

I think blocking bets, then semi-bluff is about right.

He probably has something weak, but better than a sheer bluff.

I've called a couple of these when I rivered a Set or a concealed Straight, and it's always been something like A9 on a 9Jrag flop with a K on the Turn.

Almost no one massively overbets like that when they want to get called.