Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Are you more intelligent than Leonardo da Vinci?

[ QUOTE ]
I can't remember who said this (maybe Ted Nugent) so I cannot properly credit, but anyway what he said was "Predators have eyes on the front of their head, and prey species have eyes on the side of their head. As long as my eyes are on the front of my head I will not feel guilty enjoying a juicy steak."

Since then I haven't felt guilty either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a Ted Nugent quote, but I'm not sure you would want to associate yourself with them. Ted thinks that he can solve the hunger problem in Africa by just teaching the Africans how to hunt.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure that the antelope which is killed by the lion suffers much more than the cow in the slaughterhouse.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem. Most animals suffer much longer than those antelope. The cows probably have it best, even though you can imagine how they feel when packed in a truck for hours in the heat only to have a bolt shot into their head. There are many more that suffer much longer.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe that the difficulty of upholding the consequence of a choice has a bearing on the morality of the choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly it does. It's just another example of people justifying their behavior.

[ QUOTE ]
For example, it's not easy being a suicide bomber...

[/ QUOTE ]

In many ways it is. The appeal of eternal life with forty virgins (or whatever it is) makes it easier in some ways.

[ QUOTE ]
All things are not equal as biology seems to be on Nugent's side.

[/ QUOTE ]

For now.

[ QUOTE ]
I respect your choice and congratulate you on successfully modifying your behavior in order to satisfy your own moral code.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eventually I believe it will be the moral code of all those intellectual, just I believe that the intelligent eventually realized that slavery is wrong and women are equal.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eventually I believe it will be the moral code of all those intellectual, just I believe that the intelligent eventually realized that slavery is wrong and women are equal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey now, let's not get crazy.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the most intelligent people in early America kept slaves. Opinions on slavery were (are) derived more from socialization than biology (intelligence).

Opinions on meat eating are derived firstly from biology, and secondly from socialization. There is a distinct possibility that the majority of society will one day come to see eating (or otherwise using) animals as morally wrong. Intelligence will have little or nothing to do with that fact. If people, even very smart people, find themselves starving - in most cases biology will overcome the factors of socialization contributing to the "no meat eating" moral code - and bambi better watch out.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a distinct possibility that the majority of society will one day come to see eating (or otherwise using) animals as morally wrong. Intelligence will have little or nothing to do with that fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Moral changes have a lot to do with intelligence.