Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 02:54 PM

Default AQs against an all-in

Here's a hand I played a while ago. Villain recently sat down and is unknown. So, call the push?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Button ($33.05)
SB ($47)
Hero ($55.45)
UTG ($154.61)
MP ($40.60)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.50</font>, MP folds, SB calls $2.

Flop: ($5.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, SB calls $44.50 (All-In), Hero...?

Dumle
Old 09-29-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: AQs against an all-in

you are either slightly ahead or way behind....fold.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:01 PM

Easy Fold. You only have Top pair and the money is deep, ur opponent could have 2 pair or a set. Maybe u can call only with top 2 pair or higher.

Theres a possibility he's on a flush draw, but not for sure. Most of the time you are beaten
Old 09-29-2005, 03:03 PM

I just can't see a hand that you could be beating. He likely has either two pair or a set. I can't seem him making this move with a worse ace. And there is only 10 bucks in the pot before his all in, why risk nearly your entire stack when you are likely very far behind.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Results

Point taken. I'm either way behind or slightly ahead. I really didn't think his play was consistent with a set or two-pair, though, and thought that it was much more likely he was on a flush draw. So I called, didn't improve and he took it down with A2.

Thanks!

Dumle
Old 09-29-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Results

this hand is a great example of why the semi-bluff is such a powerful tool....in examples like this if he had just been semi bluffing a naked flush draw he'd expect to take this pot down a large amount of the time...for the times he gets caught, he still wins 30% of the time....even if your read had been right you'd have lost this hand a decent amount of the time. Since your read was wrong you got your money in as a pretty significant underdog. This is why the semi-bluff is so powerful and so hard to defend against.