Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2004, 06:51 PM

Default when do you stop raising with a non-nut full house

party 2/4.

i'm dealt 33 utg and limp in.
player to my left limps (unknown), 2 MPs limp, SB folds and BB checks.

flop: A 6 3, rainbow.
BB checks, i bet, EP raises, and it's folded to me. i call for the turn check raise.

turn: A
i check, he bets, i raise, and he 3 bets. i'm thinking he has a good ace. i cap and he calls.

river is a 4
i bet and he raises. i think i have to start giving him credit for some sort of full house at this point, and unfortunately they are all better than mine. however, i 3 bet, and he caps. i call.

he shows A3o, and it turns out the A on the turn which i thought was a great card in terms of giving me action was actually a miracle three outer for him.

anyone stop raising on the turn or river? i think after i cap on the turn and bet out and he STILL raises, i can probably safely just call unless i know the player to be a real maniac. anyone just call the 3 bet on the turn and/or just check-call the river?
Old 01-27-2004, 07:12 PM

Default Re: when do you stop raising with a non-nut full house

i think after i cap on the turn and bet out and he STILL raises, i can probably safely just call unless i know the player to be a real maniac.

Yup.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think after i cap on the turn and bet out and he STILL raises, i can probably safely just call unless i know the player to be a real maniac.

Yup.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm glad you agree. but do you think that cap-bet-call was the right play, or would you have just called the turn 3 bet, and/or check/called the river?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:42 AM

Don't feel bad about losing with a full house. You should cap it, and if he wants to go cap+1, then you just call. You played it fine.

- Jim
Old 01-28-2004, 11:34 AM

I'd muck 33 UTG...but ignoring that:
1. I'd 3-bet the flop. It doesn't give away your true hand strength since it is most likely a strong Ace since you limped in UTG. Also, if it's capped, you get an indication that bottom set could be vulnerable (66 or slowplayed AA).
2. The turn check-raise is okay, but you run the risk of him not betting. Perhaps he raised the flop to thin the field with a weak ace. I'd still bet out. I like the cap though. He likes his hand, and it's hard to be behind at this point.
3. I'd play the river the same way you did. In a B&M room, I'd probably just call his reraise.

In short, he played trash and was rewarded. I'd just note that he played A3 from EP, and hope for the chance to get into more pots with him.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:43 AM

I agree that you should cap the turn and just call a raise on the river. A lot of players I play with won't cap the river without a boat there for fear that someone else has it. Your turn checkraise shows strength, and if he's willing to 3 bet there and raise the river, you have to give him credit for a full house. You have the worst possible full house, and with that action I'd call expecting to lose. Unless, like you said, he's a maniac.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:18 PM

IF i'd called the 3-bet on turn, i certainly would've 3-bet the river. Because i would've had too little info (also very much BECAUSE of the lacking flopaction) to think otherwise about my boat than being a GREAT possibility to be the best hand. In that case i would've been capped wich in turn would've cost me 1 bet more than a cap-bet-call manouevre wich gives u the MOST info for the LEAST of chips.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:20 PM

The turn checkraise says you have an A (which I like better than a flop 3-bet in this case because of the lack of a preflop raise, small pot and unconnected board), his 3-bet says he has a better ace, your cap indicates you are most likely full. When he raises the river, he says he is full and isn't scared of your likely full house unless he is a maniac. I could see AT, AJ, AQ or AK (people do limp with big aces) 3-betting the turn, so I think it would most often be a mistake to just call the 3-bet, especially at party where people tend to overplay their hands.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:20 PM

When he caps the turn, you shouldn't raise the river again unless you know for a fact he's a total maniac.

al
Old 01-28-2004, 02:19 PM

Hero capped the turn, not his opponent.