Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Massive Tilt

When I play a cash game I can usually amass a lot of money of a period of time. Until I get a bad beat. I get very frustrated and make bad calls, raises etc. until all my money is gone. I've tried getting up after a bad beat and leaving the table and it doesn't work because I still come back angry. Is there anything else that I can do? I know this sounds childish and stupid.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Massive Tilt

[ QUOTE ]
When I play a cash game I can usually amass a lot of money of a period of time. Until I get a bad beat. I get very frustrated and make bad calls, raises etc. until all my money is gone. I've tried getting up after a bad beat and leaving the table and it doesn't work because I still come back angry. Is there anything else that I can do? I know this sounds childish and stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once had a bad night, tilted, left the table, went to bed, and WOKE UP tilted. I couldn't believe it. I just couldn't concentrate on the game and made several "unforced" errors in a row.

I had to go for like a 4-hour walk.

I came back and I was a little more calm.

Basically, just sit out until you're ready again. No matter how long it takes.

Other than that, get a shrink I guess... couldn't hurt. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2005, 10:45 PM

http://www.pokerplayer.se/images/phil3.jpg
Old 07-18-2005, 02:22 AM

Is this live or online?

If you are playing online, then obviously you need to quit when you take a bad beat. The tables and your cable modem will still be there when you snap back into reality.

If you are playing live, take an extended break after a beat. Go eat dinner, go call your mother on your cell phone, go take in a 25 cent peep show [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. If you find that none of the above work, call it a night and go home. Better to miss a few hours of play than to destroy your bankroll.

Search on cardplayer.com for Alan Schoonmaker's articles on tilt. Then read "Zen and the Art of Poker."

Also, read two of my similar posts in the archives:

Beating Tilt

Tilt triggers

Remember, you most constantly be on the lookout for Tilt, and you must know your own personal Tilt triggers. Identifying your tilt triggers is half the battle.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:56 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.pokerplayer.se/images/phil3.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I SO knew what that was going to be before I opened it.

--Dave.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:19 AM

If I rewrote my articles on tilt, I would add one point: If you sense that you're going on tilt, explain to a skeptical friend why you insist on playing instead of just quitting.

Since your decision is irrational, you won't be able to explain it, and trying to do so may help you to realize how foolish you're being. The idea is to make your own thought processes more "visible," to understand why you are taking actions. Once you see how foolish you're being, you may do the ONLY intelligent thing: QUIT.

You can read the articles at carplayer.com. Click on magazine, writers, and my name. Parts I and IV are the ones that relate directly to your problem.

Regards,

Al
Old 07-22-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since your decision is irrational, you won't be able to explain it, and trying to do so may help you to realize how foolish you're being. The idea is to make your own thought processes more "visible," to understand why you are taking actions. Once you see how foolish you're being, you may do the ONLY intelligent thing: QUIT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a good idea, I have tilt problems as well, is there anyway to overcome them like forever. I don't tilt if I understand my opponents action in someway, Like I push with AK he calls with AQ, 77 whatever, as long as it makes some kind of sense I can live with it, it never used to be this way, things are improving but I still have problems with people whose actions make no logical sense.

I was in a $3 rebuy to Stars WCOOP 1 on Tuesday, there were 8 of us left, 4 get a seat worth $530, the stacks were 383k, 204k, 186k, 156k villian, 78k, 72k me, 32k and 20k. Anyway he was in early MP and he raised to 12k 2/4k blinds, I pushed over him with AKo, well he insta called with A8o, he took me out, risking his entire tournament in my opinion after 4 hours of play with a very substandard hand. I couldn't understand what he was thinking, then it hit me, he never made it, even after taking my stack and having a lock on a place he still busted out. I didn't play further that day, so I controlled that, but it still bothers me.

Mack
Old 07-23-2005, 06:04 AM

I tilt a lot whenever I do some stupid play during a tournament that kills my chip stack. One of things that has helped is allowing myself a certain number of mistakes. For some reason this helps.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Send a cheque. It's faster and easier than tilting.

The alternative is to understand the nature of the game and get used to it.