Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 11:14 PM

Default An interesting hand...Positional Struggle Against Tough Player

5-handed 1-2 game online. I'm second to act with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I raise. Next player, a very good, but very (perhaps overly) aggressive player, 3-bets. He is sometimes super-aggro, but very smart and beats the game well. Folded back around to me and I call. Flop comes 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check, good player bets, I raise, he calls. Turn is the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check, he bets, I call. River is the Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I bet. How's my line?

Jeff
Old 06-29-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: An interesting hand...Positional Struggle Against Tough Player

I dont like the turn play
Old 06-29-2005, 12:17 AM

on that board vs. that player u must bet the turn. call the raise and call it down. if not raised bet river again.

nice bet on the river.

-Barron
Old 06-29-2005, 01:19 AM

is just calling the turn bet and betting the river better than check-raising the turn?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is just calling the turn bet and betting the river better than check-raising the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

you cannot check and allow a free card on the turn.

-Barron
Old 06-29-2005, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
5-handed 1-2 game online. I'm second to act with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I raise. Next player, a very good, but very (perhaps overly) aggressive player, 3-bets. He is sometimes super-aggro, but very smart and beats the game well. Folded back around to me and I call. Flop comes 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check, good player bets, I raise, he calls. Turn is the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check, he bets, I call. River is the Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I bet. How's my line?

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Your line sucks.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:05 AM

What if you know a bet will go in close to 100% (say 85-90%)of the time whether you're winning or losing? I like your advice in the prev post, but I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-29-2005, 07:13 AM

If he bluffraises the turn with around the correct frequency, then I don't mind your line with that read. However, I don't think betting is bad in this situation, and I think it is a better default play, because as Dcfr said, you really don't want to give a free card off here. As others have mentioned, I really like the river bet. Overall, I think this is a good line to mix up your play, and make it hard to read your hand.

-Mike
Old 06-29-2005, 07:19 AM

I'm trying to understand why you like the river bet, which is why I ask if a raise on the turn is better. But given that the turn check was a botch, I'm guessing you just ignored a turn salvation suggestion and went right to the river.

Given a hypothetical turn bet, do we fold to a raise? I'm not sure about this one, but I know that betting the turn is important here because 2 overcards or a flush draw are a big chunk of opponent's range. [edit: i see now baron says call down a turn raise, still curious about the next question]

Given the turn play and river bet, do we fold to a river raise? I assume we only bet if we can fold to a raise, otherwise check-call and hope AK doesn't check behind?
Old 06-29-2005, 07:27 AM

If I were to play the flop and turn like you I would check and call the river. I think it's more likely he's going to put you on a big ace that had a flush draw and missed, and will bet just about anything for value or as a bluff since I bet he's capable of playing KJ/AJ/AT/AK like this too.

If you bet the river I think you need to call a raise though.