Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Standard?

6-max 600 NL

I feel this is pretty standard but just looking for feedback as im new to mid stakes NL. Villain in this hand is semi LAG, gets out of line sometimes but seems fairly solid. My only notes on him are that he opened for 30 with 44 and called a reraise to 75 and stacked re-raiser who had AK on a 4 x A flop. I have 600 he covers.

He opens UTG for 24, I call with KQo on the button.

Flop: J 10 5 rainbow

Villain leads for 33, I make it 80, he calls.

Turn: 9s putting 2 spades on the board. He checks I bet 125, he calls.

River: 8o, he checks, I bet 200, he thinks and calls.

Anyone do anything different on any street?
Old 10-05-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Standard?

raise more on flop
bet more on turn
bet more on river

btw it's easier for us to read if you give us pot size on every street.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:47 PM

What allinlife said.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:59 PM

I think if villain is calling my reraise to 80 he will call it to 120 as well, I am not positive he will fold to turn aggression if I miss. As I played it, I managed to get approx 70% of my stack in with the nuts, I didn't feel that was too bad.

Actually now that I think about I should have bet more on the flop which would have made getting all of my stack into the middle alot easier. Thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
River: 8o, he checks, I bet 200, he thinks and calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
From how you wrote the post, I think that this is the correct bet. Any higher and he would have most assuredly folded. Well played.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:10 PM

Like you said, you got 70% of your stack in with the nuts which is fine. 100% is better. nh regardless. But on the flop, if you think he will call $120, then don't raise to $80 because you are not raising for value like you have a set. Either raise to $140 (I'd make it $125-$140 personally) or just call. The turn, the pot would be ~$300 where you could bet $225 and get the rest of what's left of your stack in easily on the river.

btw...what's your plan if a total brick hits the turn and he checks?
Old 10-05-2005, 09:30 PM

My plan was to close-to-pot it on the turn if i missed, which is why i didnt want to bloat the pot too much on the flop.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:59 PM

Check the turn if you miss unless he's the type to fold to 2nd barrels.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:01 PM

this is bad... you should've stacked villain here. Granted 30% doesnt sound like a lot, but think of how many bbs u missed out on.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:36 PM

I would either flat-call the flop if he often makes these small bets when he is trapping or make a bigger raise if this is a standard continuation bet. I would bet more on the turn in order to build the pot no matter what his tendencies.

Concerning the river, I do not think he has a hand like a set or two pair, as I believe he would have 3-bet the flop or check-raised the turn with those hands. I find it very unlikely that he has a seven in his hand. Therefore I do not like the size of your river bet. I do not think he will check-raise a bet of this size unless he has observed you making thin value bets when last to act on the river. In fact, I do not think he will check-raise you with a Q, since he should realize that KQ is within your range of hands if he has observed your play as you have his (unless he has reason to think that you will call a check-raise without a Q). If you were first to act then I would not think the size of this bet is bad, but since you are last to act I do. I think an all-in bet or a smaller bet would be preferable, since I cannot think of many hands he can have that would make a river bet of this size optimal (unless he is bad or perhaps if he has observed you raising the flop and betting the turn and river with weak hands.

This having been said, if any of the assumptions I have made about this player are at all incorrect, my advice is likely wrong (though the optimal play is still not obvious, since how he plays the river will determine how you should play it).