Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 06:57 PM

Default What information do you believe is factual?

Do you believe that all information presented by the media has a "slant" to it? What should we believe? I see in several previous threads where someone links articles and such, and then almost immediatly, the link is blasted for being too "right-wing" or too "left-wing." Can any information presented to us be unbiased?
Old 09-26-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: What information do you believe is factual?

When undisputed facts are presented (as opposed to opinion), we can include them in our decision making process. Quoted statements, if not denied by the source, should be included. When bias is alleged, it almost always involves exclusion of what is known and not reported.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re: What information do you believe is factual?

[ QUOTE ]
When bias is alleged, it almost always involves exclusion of what is known and not reported.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I guess you could also include what is not known but not even sought out. One example of info. that is horribly underresearched by the western media (and therefore a major source of bias) is why so many people in so many countries want to see Israel wiped off the map.

Objective journalism is not about making knee-jerk dismissals of this phenomenon but rather conducting interviews, adding historical perspective, and otherwise presenting it as the legitimate, significant issue it is.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Bias

[ QUOTE ]
One example of info. that is horribly underresearched by the western media (and therefore a major source of bias) is why so many people in so many countries want to see Israel wiped off the map.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is an example of a point that really doesn't even need to be researched -- it's a stated policy. News organizations that edit these stated positions from their coverage have gone way beyond bias and are actively spinning the story. I have more tolerance for the ignorant who fail to do research -- since it's understandable that they're not going to find what they're not looking for -- than I do for activists who edit and filter what they do find.