Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 04:15 AM

Default \"Overpushing\" in early position

I found that this situation came up quite often when I was playing 22's.

So lvl 3 hits and you are sitting with 550-650 chips in EP on a nearly full table and you get dealt AK. Raising to 125 or 150 will quite often draw callers and you find yourself playing out of position with an awkward stack.

I found myself just pushing all in here same with AQ and 9's-J's perhaps worse on a shorter table. Is this the standard line here? Or is this just a case of me losing my desire to play anything post-flop?

I've finally moved on from the 22's after maxing my ROI at around 25% but im afraid my game has grown stale and i've stopped thinking so I want to shore up some of these possible leaks as I start the 55's.

/edit I guess the question is really how do you play these hands from EP with a 11-15xBB stack.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:39 AM

Default Re: \"Overpushing\" in early position

I think this is a tricky spot too. With 650, I'll think about raising to 150, but with 600 or less I just open push.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:56 AM

Default Re: \"Overpushing\" in early position

I don't like pushing in these cases. I normally would just bet slightly more than 3x, like 160 or 170. If the flop is good, then it's just about getting the money in. If it's not, and I don't think my opponent hit it either, I may just shove at that point.