Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 09:52 PM

Default 40-80 top pair hand

Full 40-80. Passive preflop, somewhat overaggressive postflop limps UTG, decent TAG limps in MP, Clark limps on the button. SB folds, you check with AdTc.

Flop: As Qs 3c. You check, UTG bets, MP folds, Clark raises. What's your play?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: 40-80 top pair hand

Call and plan to c/r the turn unless a Q comes off.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:57 PM

I'm prob getting my fold on. Chances are too good I'm beat in at least one spot. One may have a draw, and I doubt top pair no kicker is beating the other guy.

The possibility of being beat now combined w/ the chances of being outdrawn in a tough spot make it a fold IMO. But i'm open to changing my mind. I can wait for better spots tho.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:59 PM

Darn, just read Stork's response. Maybe I got this one wrong. I haven't played any limit in a long while. Oh well.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:59 PM

Normally this is an auto-raise, but if someone is overaggressive I'd rather spool out some rope.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:03 PM

I'm not expert, I'm only taking a stab at it, but you said you think you have to be beat in at least one spot; I think Clark will call with a lot of hands on the button in an unraised pot. UTG is overagressive postflop, so it's hard to put him on a hand at this point. He could have a strong ace, but he could also have a weak ace or a spade draw or a decent queen. At this point I'm inclined to put UTG on a spade draw and Clark on a suited ace worse than yours or a decent queen.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:09 PM

Do iwant it heads up with clark or three way with an aggro UTG? I would rather have it heads up out of position as clark and aggro guy can make it very tough for me if a scare card or two comes off.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:19 PM

But if Clark is drawing and UTG is out of line, then there's nothing I can do about it, and I also don't want to give UTG any clues about my strength.

In other words, there's nothing I can do to improve my position in the hand, so I might as well save money.

Actually, I would rather have led out to begin with and let the UTG make things difficult on the TAP and Clark rather than vice versa.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Full 40-80. Passive preflop, somewhat overaggressive postflop limps UTG, decent TAG limps in MP, Clark limps on the button. SB folds, you check with AdTc.

Flop: As Qs 3c. You check, UTG bets, MP folds, Clark raises. What's your play?

[/ QUOTE ]

one tidbit of info missing...what does clark think of me?

if UTG was some of the people i know clark plays with then i absolutely call and bet the turn.

i call because utg is overagressive and i likely have that person beat pretty badly. if clark thinks/knows i'd fold a better ace to his raise, he'd often raise KQo or hands like that to get it hu with the utg.

if it was ME personally, as barron in the bb, i have an idea of what clark thinks of me and i call here and bet the turn.

once i call, i signal to clark i'm going to the showdown a high percentage of the time. BUT i want to keep UTG in there so i dont have to deal with clark heads up out of position on the expensive streets.

so calling does that.

then on the turn, assuming no Q, i bet out b/c i dont want to give TWO people free cards who combined have a bunch of outs against me...against just ONE i may check and bet the river if he checks again and call a river raise...

but against two i gotta bet the turn and if utg calls and clark raises then i dont know and would have to think about it more...b/c at that point he would know what i know and know how to counter it...get me out...he could read my stop and go as a bet and fold to a turn raise, which he knows i do...so i may have to just call this one down to the river.

if i bet and utg folds and clark calls i check the river intending to call or c'r a ten.

BUT, this is only if Barron was the bb...against others, it depends what you know clark thinks of you and how he'd counter how you play with position...

just out of curiosity clark, how well does this post lay out whati think you think of my game? and where would u put me relative to those you play with?

-Barron
Old 02-02-2005, 10:26 PM

Dc, I wouldn't want to give a free card either, but I would be very suprised of the turn got checked through.