Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Fish Babble: Beginner mistake with QQ.

Don't flame me - you read the title. What a difference a few weeks of reading 2+2 makes.

Today’s lessons: Value betting and hand reading

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

No reads. And yes, I was this bad.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, BB calls.

Standard raise and cap for value. CO’s likely range: 99-AA,AK,AQ.

Flop: (16.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Standard value bet. Expect CO to raise. Hero is a huge favorite against CO’s range and should have capped for value. If MP1 stays in a capped pot, he has a 2, is drawing to a full house, or is a fish. As it is, if MP1 is slow-playing a 2, he’ll bet/raise the turn.

<font color="green">What should Hero do if its two bets back to him? I think call and check/fold the turn if MP1 bets out. Maybe call down CO's bets on the turn and river, but would MP1 bluff bet/raise two preflop raisers on both the flop and turn? I don't think so.</font>

Turn: (11.20 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

<font color="green"> Hero? </font>

Probably best to bet and fold to a raise, but…

Hero checks, MP1 checks, CO checks.

Hero is weak sauce. CO is too. CO should have bet any of his range, either for value or fold equity, unless his "3-betting preflop" range is a lot larger than we thought.

<font color="green">I think Hero has trapped himself here. What does Hero do if CO bets? If call, then wouldn’t it have been better to bet out in the first place? </font>

River: (11.20 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Easy value bet for Hero. Neither MP1 or CO have shown much if any strength postflop. CO is afraid of the K despite Hero and MP1 checking it, and almost definitely has 99-QQ,AQ, or worse at this point. MP1 has almost definitely missed his draw. Yet…

Hero checks, MP1 checks, CO checks.

Wow. I suck.

Final Pot: 11.20 BB

My current line on this hand would be to cap preflop, cap the flop, bet the turn and river, and maybe call one raise on either the turn OR river by CO, but not both after the K hits. A late raise by MP1 almost always means I'm beat.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Fish Babble: Beginner mistake with QQ.

3bet the flop
Old 12-29-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Fish Babble: Beginner mistake with QQ.

I think you critiqued yourself pretty good. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Now get out there and ram and jam [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]