Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 01:10 AM

Default Educating the fish

I don't understand why some people think it's funny to talk about ICM and SNGPT at the tables. I mean telling people where to buy SNGPT and laughing about it. Saying "brown trout", etc. in chat. This assclown knew there were other 2+2ers at the table and thought he was being cute. Nobody else at the table was involved in the chat other than to tell him to stfu.

sn= asparaguspee on Party. Not cool.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Educating the fish

what level was this at?
Old 12-10-2005, 01:21 AM

While we're publicly outing people- msalgado80. Not sure he's a 2p2er or not.

I don't know why you were trying so hard to explain things like ROI to people, but it definitly doesn't help yours, so next time STFU.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:23 AM

11s. There was one 2+2er that I already recognized, one who responded to the brown trout comment with something like, "yeah, yeah, all county, blah blah blah...NOW STFU", and assclown.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:54 AM

I still don't really understand why people get their panties in such a bunch about stuff like this. I'm pretty sure the fraction of people whose ears will perk up and lead them off on a quest for poker enlightenment (and for whom that quest will be fruitful) is small. And even if they do, so what? While I'm happy about trying to win when I play, the notion of trying my utmost to keep the unwashed masses uninformed is unappealing to me. This isn't to say I go out of my way to give advice when playing online, but I don't really mind when people do it, at least theoretically.

The main thing that sucks about table coaching in practice is that it frequently makes the person doing it come across as a dick, because there's usually a tone along the lines of "I can't believe how stupid you are you [censored] n00b," and I'm all for fewer people being dicks at the poker table, when possible.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:56 AM

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day;
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life;
but never teach the fish.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:20 AM

The irony is so thick in this thread that you can almost choke on it. You're posting about teaching crappy players...at a site where you learn from better players. Hasn't this ever occured to you?

Do you think it's financially beneficial for a poster who plays at your level to give you tips and advise you on certain lines to take? If anything, there is a greater chance that they'll play you (assuming you're both regulars at that level) than some donk who probably plays twice a week after his wife goes to bed.

I dislike table coaches as much as the next guy, but be very careful when you post on here about "educating the fish", because to someone, you're the fish looking to be educated.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Saying "brown trout", etc. in chat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats a problem? To anyone playing the Stars 27 Turbos, plz do tell me if I offend you by throwing out a "sup bro" if I recognize your name. Didn't know people are all cloak and dagger about posting here.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:01 AM

I don't imagine anyone who does not read this forum will understand that "sup bro" outs anyone as being part of the 2+2 brotherhood. It just means that two of the players know each other. Most of them wouldn't even know (or care) what you meant if you said "saw you on 2+2 the other day".
Old 12-10-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The main thing that sucks about table coaching in practice is that it frequently makes the person doing it come across as a dick, because there's usually a tone along the lines of "I can't believe how stupid you are you [censored] n00b," and I'm all for fewer people being dicks at the poker table, when possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. It benefits every winning player if losing players enjoy playing poker online.

But male pride combined with the anonymity of the internet always result in a few enjoying being dicks. Unfortunately real life isn't like "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back".