Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: I win, now what?

The question is whether you would rather take your free card on the flop or on the turn. I think checking or betting are both good options, and I'm not sure how much of a difference they actually make. With a big pot like this, I think you can make some good moves on the turn if you catch a great card. I think a raise on the turn is mandatory, whether you checked or bet.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:39 PM

As for the turn, I do not think anything but a raise is really up for debate. You have the best hand the majority of the time and the pot is getting pretty big. You have to defend a large pot.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise the turn. I'm not sure why you bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

With overcards, a three-flush, and a good three-straight, in a board that is likely to have missed the majority of opponents (note the paired 4s), Q has a fair amount of equity here. In what has become a big pot, betting makes sense in order to clear up possible overcard outs and allow Q to take a free river card a lot of the time, and with 5-6-ish outs here probably on average we have enough equity in a five-way pot so that a bet is not going to be hugely bad in most situations. Even in situations where we get check-raised and the pot ends up heads-up, that often means we are heads-up in position with 9 pure outs, which is really not that bad a spot to be.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this the type of player that can fold a 10 if you raise the turn? If so, I'm calling down in what seems to be WA/WB situation. It's a big pot and you only need to win about 25% of the time to make it profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get the wtf? If you be a little more specific maybe we can discuss it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero's hand is good about 98% of the time here. This is not a WA/WB situation.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

98% of the time doesn't constitute way ahead? If he's not ahead, how many outs does he have to take the pot? I like a calldown because when he raises, he loses someone who has at most 5 outs (who probably wouldn't fold with 5 outs anyway). So really, a raise only loses someone with 2 outs.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:44 PM

"98% of the time doesn't constitute way ahead? If he's not ahead, how many outs does he have to take the pot? I like a calldown because when he raises, he loses someone who has at most 5 outs (who probably wouldn't fold with 5 outs anyway). So really, a raise only loses someone with 2 outs."

I am not sure if you are being facetious? WA/WB in general refers to hands where you have a close to 50/50 shot at being either. For example AA on an AKK flop is not WA/WB, it is WAWAWAWAWWAWA/sometimes (almost never) (really almost never) WB, and should certainly not be played WA/WB.

KK on an A72 board heads up is WAWB, for example.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
clean up outs

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? You think someone is folding QT on this flop? Or you are are betting specifically hoping someone has JK/ KQ and they don't call with their overcards in this big pot and one of the two cards of the rank you share comes out? Either way, this sounds like a huge stretch.

[ QUOTE ]
and get a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can get a free card 100% of the time by checking when you are last to act rather than betting into four people with queen high.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:02 PM

Call and raise the river is a line I take sometimes. I would check this flop though.

Rob
Old 12-01-2005, 04:04 PM

If he folded I would make it a point to steal pots from this guy in the future. Seriously.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise the turn. I'm not sure why you bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

With overcards, a three-flush, and a good three-straight, in a board that is likely to have missed the majority of opponents (note the paired 4s), Q has a fair amount of equity here. In what has become a big pot, betting makes sense in order to clear up possible overcard outs and allow Q to take a free river card a lot of the time, and with 5-6-ish outs here probably on average we have enough equity in a five-way pot so that a bet is not going to be hugely bad in most situations. Even in situations where we get check-raised and the pot ends up heads-up, that often means we are heads-up in position with 9 pure outs, which is really not that bad a spot to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will,

I'm starting to think you may autobet too many flops. Between this and the JTc flop, especially. I think this is a flop check as there are no outs to be cleaned.

Rob
Old 12-01-2005, 04:09 PM

I agree with entity that this flop is a pretty easy check.