Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 08:38 PM

Default GRRRRR This crap irritates me...

Reference Weis, Willingham, and Notre Dame. Looks like a another piece of trash from the that fat race bater Jason Whitlock:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...hitlock/051101
Old 11-01-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: GRRRRR This crap irritates me...

[ QUOTE ]
Reference Weis, Willingham, and Notre Dame. Looks like a another piece of trash from the that fat race bater Jason Whitlock:

[/ QUOTE ]

I always hate race related stories, but why did he get a contract extension? He didnt do much. Its his first year.

Also does it really mean anything? I mean Willingham still had 2 years left in his contract and they fired him.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:01 PM

I've been having a debate with my officemate today. He's a ND alum. And, well, I agree somewhat with Whitlock. AT THIS STAGE OF THEIR CAREERS, Ty and Weis were at least reasonably close, but were treated 100% oppositely.

Now, IMO, it has more to do with Weis being a PR wonderboy (dying boy's wish, going to USC lockerroom w/ his son, etc) and Ty being a quiet man in the shadows and less with race.

But it is odd for two similar coaches (AT THE TIME...obviously now we know differently about Ty, but at the time...) to be treated so incredibly differently....

Josh
Old 11-01-2005, 09:04 PM

At least Whitlock has some idea of how standard written English works.

For the record, I don't like Whitlock, and while I kinda like Ty Willingham, I don't think he's a good coach. But I don't know why you think Whitlock is so far off in this article. This is one of the few times I actually agree with him.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:27 AM

I think it's tough to compare Weis and Willingham. Wies is definitley is more attractive to the NFL.

If Charlie Wies was now coaching the Cleveland Browns and Romeo Crennel was coaching Notre Dame and everything else had played out exactly the same for both teams...

Who thinks Romeo would get the same extension?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:31 AM

he's so far off

Watching ty's wins, only rarely did notre dame look impressive. It was all smoke and mirrors, and it was very easy to see what was coming (the downfall). The almost loss to navy is a good example of this. Although nd won the game, they had to make a tough comback at the end to avoid their first loss to navy in 30+ years. However, very few nd fans were that suprised because we had all seen ND pull out win after win without ever looking better than anyone else.

Fast forward to this year, Notre Dame plays Syracuse in a few weeks, a team very similar to Navy in Ty's first year. No one expects this game to be close, and it would shock notre dame's fans if the game is close at all. This is the key difference. This year the team is impressive and looks like it will continue to be impressive. In Ty's first year it was just pulling out close win after close win with no offense whatsoever, just relying on timely turnovers. No one really believed this could continue for any considerable period of time. Some alum made a quote that said this best after the usc game this yea(i can't find it right now) it went something like "For the first time in a very long time I can expect the Irish to go out and win every week, and that's a good feeling." Winning wasn't expected with Ty and is with Weis and that's the difference.

Also, Whitlock tries to make the point that Weis got lucky having Quinn already there. This actually is one of the biggest points for Weis, look at how bad Quinn was for Ty and how good he is now. Molding a player so quickly into such a force (quinn showed only moderate improvement in 2 years with TY), is another huge point in Weis' favor.

Or I could just answer this with my buddy's away message right now...
"Why Weis, but not Willingham?"...
because Willingham [censored] sucked. that's why.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:44 AM

Hmm I guess Scoop Jackson was sick this week so he had to write the Notre Dame is racist article.

I think that ND is scared to death that Weis wants to goto the NFL sooner rather than later and is doing everything they can to make him stay.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:26 AM

Could it have anything to do with Weis turning around a team that sucked under Willingham.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm I guess Scoop Jackson was sick this week so he had to write the Notre Dame is racist article.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why it sucked when Ralph Wiley died. Now that man could play the race card.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always hate race related stories, but why did he get a contract extension? He didnt do much. Its his first year.

Also does it really mean anything? I mean Willingham still had 2 years left in his contract and they fired him.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one exzpected the NFL to be knocking on Willingham's door. They gave Weis the deal because they had to to keep him.

I hate these morons that read race into everything. They should all be killed, starting with our local idiot here, Dan LeBetard.