Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 01:20 AM

Default how much is addon worth?

ok, so more than i should, i forget to take the addon when i'm multitabling. i always try to do it right when the break starts, but they don't let you until all tables are done, and so sometimes i just forget to hit it until the break is over.

i always get a little pissed, but i'm never sure just how much i'm costing myself when i don't take it. has anybody done some math on this to know just how much it costs for different stack sizes?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Re: how much is addon worth?

It's worth a lot because it keeps low/mid stacks alive a lot longer than they should.. and that enables them to see more hands and fight more.. ie. On stars the add-on is at the break where the blinds are 75/150 after the break.. say you have 3K.. not desparate yet, but not great after another blind increase.. now adding on you're at 5K and can still be an impact to other stacks.. plus other people are adding on so you are losing ground to the field.. (unless you were chip leader or had a massive stack where 2000 chips are insignificant, very rare)
Old 10-19-2005, 02:06 AM

Wouldn't you have to compare it to the total number of chips in play, and your stack size with or without the addon?

I can't do it, but is that at least how? Or something similar?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't you have to compare it to the total number of chips in play, and your stack size with or without the addon?

I can't do it, but is that at least how? Or something similar?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, its pretty complex, and hard to figure out, which is why i'm too lazy to try and was hoping somebody could refrence where somebody smarter than me already had done the calculation.

i mean for sure its worth more to small and mid stacks b/c the blind level makes it such that you're going to get desperate if you don't double up soon with a 2-4k stack.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:59 AM

I seem to remember a card player article that suggested that if the add-on wasn't at a discount (I.e., more chips/$ than normal chips cost) then it made sense to add-on if you had less than average chip stack+add-on. If you were more than average chip stack+add-on then the declining marginal value of extra chips made it no longer a no brainer.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:15 AM

Not sure on worth of it, but I always take the add on then bluff off 2K in chips on first hand after break.