Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 01:20 PM

Default 5.50 Called PF push w/A-Q offsuit

NO_LIMIT TEXAS_HOLDEM $5+$1 (real money)

SB=$10 BB=$20
Villain is SB
Hero is in the BB

This is not a play I would normally make, but the Villain in this case had already revealed himself to be quite the donkey. I had also observed two previous cases of the button pushing w/multiple limpers.

Seat 1: UTG ($1,800 in chips)
Seat 2: UTG+1 ($1,210 in chips)
Seat 3: UTG+2 ($1,390 in chips)
Seat 4: MP1 ($1,570 in chips)
Seat 5: MP2 ($1,460 in chips)
Seat 6: MP3 ($1,470 in chips)
Seat 7: CO ($1,630 in chips)
Seat 8: Button ($1,910 in chips)
Seat 9: Villain ($1,060 in chips)
Seat 10: Hero ($1,500 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
SB posts blind ($10),
Hero posts blind ($20).

Hero is dealt As-Qc

PRE-FLOP
UTG calls $20
UTG+1 calls $20
UTG+2 folds
MP1 folds
MP2 folds
MP3 calls $20
CO calls $20
Blind folds
Villain bets $1,050 and is all-in
Hero calls $1,040

Is this ridiculous? I actually felt quite good about it, given my read. I figured this guy had seen a similar play work twice before and was pushing w/any two paint. I also figured him for the type that would incorrectly slow play a monster PF.

Too loose? And if so, what's your calling range given my read?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: 5.50 Called PF push w/A-Q offsuit

If I think I am a much better player than him, I think I wait for a spot that I can outplay him after the flop. Especially this early, I think I fold here. I am not all that excited about getting into a coinflip situation against a player that is less-skilled, this early.

Let me qualify this by saying that I haven't played too many SNGs, and this is, in fact, my first post in this forum. Please feel free to correct any of my misconceptions. Is the structure of a SNG so fast that I am incorrect in thinking this?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:46 PM

folds and doesnt think twice.......

way too early to get in a race. plenty of opportunities for you to get your money in later.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:57 PM

The more I think about it the more I hate it. You're right. I'm racing far more often than I'm dominating, and there's still people behind who can call.

Blech.

Ok, I won't do that again ever.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:06 PM

I especially wouldn't make this call in a $5.50. You will most likely get better opportunities.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I think I am a much better player than him, I think I wait for a spot that I can outplay him after the flop. Especially this early, I think I fold here. I am not all that excited about getting into a coinflip situation against a player that is less-skilled, this early.Let me qualify this by saying that I haven't played too many SNGs, and this is, in fact, my first post in this forum. Please feel free to correct any of my misconceptions. Is the structure of a SNG so fast that I am incorrect in thinking this?

[/ QUOTE ]I basically agree with you, but....Whether you are better than HIM isn't necessarily the issue. You may well not get the opportunity to play a big hand with him. In fact, there is a good chance he won't last more than a few more hands. There should be more players going crazy at some point though.Mostly I wanted to comment on "outplay him after the flop." This often means bluffing. Bluffing is not the way to go in a $5.50. People will give you their money when you have a good hand. Outplay him by betting and raising when you have a strong hand.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People will give you their money when you have a good hand. Outplay him by betting and raising when you have a strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have been clearer. I meant outplaying him after the flop by having him dominated with a higher kicker, overpair to the board, etc. Bluffing, I agree, seems foolish (in most instances) at the very low level SNGs. Simply playing your hands ABC-wise is usually good enough to make the bubble, and then proper bubble play/proper short-handed play takes over. I was not very clear, but that is exactly what I meant.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:24 PM

Perfecto.