Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Float like a butterfly

[ QUOTE ]
I dont play these games, so I have no clue either. However, I would have a hard time laying down top 2 given the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh, what do you put villian on that you are calling a push here?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:51 PM

a turn bet is mandatory. 150 should do the trick. if he cr's you here its a godsend, saves you from seeing an expensive river. flat calling then betting 150 again shows incredible strength. and defines the hands. checking the turn sets yourself up for a very tough river where you are completely lost when he bets into you.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:00 PM

How is the river hard to play when you check turn?
Old 12-20-2005, 03:16 PM

Ok, given the turn check, what is your river line?

Call a pot sized bet, if checked to, 1/2 pot to pot it?

If the river is a K or Q do you find a fold if he pots it?

I assume the turn check is to allow for a near auto call on any reasonable river bet.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:19 PM

for the people advocating a turn bet in this hand are you planning to bet the river as well? the turn check allows the villian a lot more room to put in some money with a worse hand, either as a bluff or as a skeptical call that thinks we missed our draw. barring some special info on how the villian or hero has been playing i dont think you really want both streets getting bet. im assuming this is a somewhat typical party 10-20 opponent.

even though there are some draws out most of the time thats not what the villian has. he will often be drawing pretty thin when losing and the draws can be just the thing that inspires him to put some more money in on the river when they miss, because it looks like thats what you had.

i think you played the hand fine.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the response limon, that is an interesting take on the situation. I have been lurking in this forum for years and u have always been an amazing poster so any help on my threads would be huge. I am not sure what to say about your suggested line, it could easily be the best. I was planning on calling pretty much any river, is it possible I could gain value in my turn check in inducing a bluff? Or is this definitely not the spot to induce bluffs (?) I could see that being the case. This game is funny, I checked the turn so I could play a small pot but you are saying bet the turn to play a small pot...
Old 12-20-2005, 03:51 PM

cwl is right again.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the post cwl,

"The turn check allows the villian a lot more room to put in some money with a worse hand, either as a bluff or as a skeptical call that thinks we missed our draw. barring some special info on how the villian or hero has been playing i dont think you really want both streets getting bet"

I think this is real important and maybe what swings me to still not minding my turn check. Now I can get paid off by TT or middle pair or something when they would have just folded to my bet on the turn. Showing "maximum strength" and "defining your hand" doesnt always seem right when u have the best hand.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont play these games, so I have no clue either. However, I would have a hard time laying down top 2 given the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh, what do you put villian on that you are calling a push here?

[/ QUOTE ]

That occured to me after I posted. If he pushes, hero is probably dead. But if villain is a good player, won't he be occasionally pushing on a bluff, knowing that hero can't call with less than a set? Or does that not happen much in this type of game?
Old 12-20-2005, 03:58 PM

Limon, do you really think 150 is a good bet size on the turn? There is about 400 in the pot I think.