Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-22-2005, 11:34 AM

Default am i jerk?

so there i was at another final table, ho-hum.
theres 3 of us left, im close to the leader.
anywho the leader gets disconnectd while we are 3 handed and misses a hand and returns, no big deal
he then knocks out the other guy. we play two or three hands tops, and then he gets disconnected again, but this time he doesnt come back.
when im bb it immediately pushes me the pot, when im sb as soon as i call it pushes me the pot.
was i a jerk to just keep immediately hitting call and laughing or should i have like waited as long as i could each time on my turn?
this happened to anybody here ever?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: am i jerk?

The only person that wouldn't do what you did is Andy Black. I guess we are all jerks then. If you get disconnected don't expect people to wait around for you, it won't happen.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:38 AM

If it was an option, I think I would have waited/stalled for a minute or two. Then ended it as quickly as possible. But, I don't think you were a jerk to take advantage from the start. Just not as nice a guy as you could have been.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:48 AM

Profit son.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:53 AM

here is what you do next time this happens. just call, and it will automatically fold to you, this way if he comes back unexpectedly you want give him a shot to call against your obvious range of any two.

ps. no need to feel bad, he would do the same to you.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:17 PM

Exact same thing happened to me last weekend. I did wait for a couple of hands, but after even a little while, blinds were up, lead was greater, no sign of his return, so click-away to 1st. Maybe He'll account that 20% of prize pool towards his "better internet connection fund".
Old 11-22-2005, 12:26 PM

Raise Raise Raise. Nice guys don't make good poker players. Most people would not wait for you in this situation so I wouldn't wait for them. My goal in poker is to profit. This would give me the best chance to profit. If you want to do something good for the community go be a Priest. Poker is not the place for this.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:50 PM

also, this is a case where min-raising is usually the best strategy :]