Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Open push 20x BB?

Alright i was just moved to the table 5 hands ago, and sincec then i've stolen the blinds twice w/ AQ and AJ. Well then i got AK, i was up to 20xBB after stealing.. would anyone open push here? I think that if i did i'd get called by a bunch of hands that i have dominated (I think AJs/AJo+ is calling me) which should make up for any times someone has AA or KK.

I ended up raising 2.5x bb and then losing some more when i missed on the flop.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Open push 20x BB?

After stealing blinds twice in five hands, I like an open push here. Like you said, I think you get called by a lot of hands you dominate.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:38 AM

If I read your post right (its 530 am, cut me a break) you don't mention your position. Of course with your image, stack and hand some might say it doesn't matter. I would say from MP and LP you have a pretty easy push, but if your pushing UTG here it will be harder to get calls from AJo and the like.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:42 AM

yea i was in MP1.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:00 AM

Man your thinking needs adjustment.

If you push here sure you get called by more hands by virtue of your image, but does that mean that they will not play back at your normal open raise?

I mean if you open standard again you are more likely to have someone resteal with absolute garbage or a weak hand like KJ or A5, while if you open push you can basically rule out a call from these types of hands.

Sure AJ may look you up, but it would look you up (read raise) anyway if you just made a normal open...

-Jason
Old 10-04-2005, 06:08 AM

Well yea hands play back at me, but i dont like the spot i get in on the flop when i miss. I feel like my continuations are going to get less and less respect, then i let them take the pot from me then or on the turn.. and blah..

but if i push i get looked up by worse hands decently often, they don't get to push me off the hand, and i get to see all 5 cards.

It's not like i was complaining that i got called when i raised 2.5xbb... but thought maybe a push might be more +EV.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well yea hands play back at me, but i dont like the spot i get in on the flop when i miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they play back then there wont be a flop will there?

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like my continuations are going to get less and less respect, then i let them take the pot from me then or on the turn.. and blah..

[/ QUOTE ]
Basically you are complaining that you get outplayed too often ont he flop. Try stuff like CR AI on the flop when you miss if you feel like your opponent is humping you off a pot.

-Jason
Old 10-04-2005, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get what that means..

But yes i pretty much am complaining that i think i'd get outplayed on the flop too often. Guess i'll try what you said.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get what that means..

But yes i pretty much am complaining that i think i'd get outplayed on the flop too often. Guess i'll try what you said.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he meant is that you make your normal raise and when someone resteals then you just push with AK in this spot.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:28 AM

I don't like pushing for 20xBB, but I might push for 12xBB, particularly if I had some people covered.

I sometimes play AK for a limpraise with something like 20xBB. It is kind of deceptive in that people will think you have a big pair or are bluffing with a standard limping hand. You can probably get medium pairs to fold and AQ might call.

It also can be deceptive in a limped pot. While you are not thrilled to fold on the flop, you can sometimes get away with a small loss.

If the table is tight, just standard raise and take the blinds. However, if it is loose and you expect callers, sometimes a limpraise is a better plan.

I was multitabling 2-table tournaments last night and when it was down to the final table, every time someone limped someone else would put in a sizeable raise. I think they really disliked limpers. I was looking to pick up AQ or JJ or something and limpraise.