Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 02:25 AM

Default AdAh9d2s, preflop 3-way shove

How's my preflop raising here? This is my first real foray into big-bet poker, and I think I have been raising too big preflop since I tend to pot it with hands like AA-wheel-x, and everybody folds.

Table was loose passive. Everyone loves to limp but a preflop pot raise gets only 1 caller or so.

How is my EP minraise here? Is this what I want to do at this type of table, or should I raise it more? My understanding is that with the hand that I hold and the looseness of the table, my focus should be on building the pot.

Stacks:
Me: $21.85
Caller: $22.24
Button: $13.75

I'm UTG + 2 with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
1 limper
I minraise to $0.50
2 callers
Button reraises to $0.75
I pot to $4.35
1 fold, 1 call, Button makes it $7.95 to go.
I shove allin.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: AdAh9d2s, preflop 3-way shove

You have a good hand.

Getting in all your stack with Aces is a great situation and you do that here.

In SS2 they mention the difference between great players in average players in 0maha High is how they play Aces. Lyle Berman suggests playing Aces a bit more cautiously so you're not telegraphing Aces. And he suggests never raising in front position (this is for Omaha High though).

When you re-raise the pot, you are telegraphing that you have Aces, but the button (foolishly unless he has Aces too), raises you and you're able to get it all in preflop.

Villain should have just called you. Then you are out of position, playing a large pot, and he knows what two of your cards are. It's a 4.35 pot with $18 left to bet. If the flop is dangerous with say two high cards, suited but not to your suits--you are in a bad position, literally and figuratively.

I reckon that if Berman sees so many people overplaying Aces that it can't hurt to slowplay them more--especially up front. It's nice that you do have the 2 with it--and you also have a nut flush draw. I just would prefer to be in last position with this hand. I think what he means is that you put yourself into a tough position, where the pot is already sizeable (relatively) and your hand even if it doesn't hit, might be good. But if you had just called Villains re-raise, you can see the flop cheaply, and if it doesn't hit your hand well, you can get out. Plus you won't be put on Aces and if it does hit your hand, you stand to win a large pot.

I think out of position against opposition you cant count on to go all-in preflop, you should just call the re-raise. I would suggest mixing up your play, sometimes playing Aces aggressively in late position, and in front position, just calling.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:32 PM

This hand is trivial.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand is trivial.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't give a helpful answer then don't bother responding. I'm still learning this game and personally don't care if you find the post trivial, given that you didn't even bother stating WHY it is trivial.