Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 11-23-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Short-stacked PLO8 HU - what to jam with

So I've been bickering with a Hold'em friend of mine that has little experience in PLO8 and none in tournaments. When he sweats me and I'm Hu with say 5-10xBB, he says jam any 4, and I think that's a terrible idea considering I am very confident I can outplay my opponent 90% of the time. I say jam with two-way hands like A588 or A2JT, 3456, 2399, etc. not naked Kings or 78JK or w/e. Thoughts?
Old 11-23-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Short-stacked PLO8 HU - what to jam with

When you have 5-10xBB there is no outplaying your opponents. There is only, “is this hand good enough to get my stack in with”. If you open raise its to 3.5xbb, and if your opponent calls then the pot is 7bb and you only have ~5 or fewer BBs left. So I would almost never fold in that spot.

But playing any 4 cards is bad as well. You definitely need to loosen up your standards, but playing 78JK rainbow is usually throwing money away.

-g
Old 11-23-2005, 04:04 PM

naked kings is a hand I shove w/ at 5 bets HU. maybe at 10 bets i just call but any less that hand is a nice one
Old 11-23-2005, 04:50 PM

Once you are at 5xBB, I would be playing a very wide range of hands in an unraised/unopened pot (~65% of hands). Some hands will be EV- to play, but waiting and losing both your fold equity and the multiplicative effect (ie. doubling up at 3 BB is worth much less than doubling up at 5BB) of doubling up is even more EV-

-g