Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-29-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: 30-60 River Decision

[ QUOTE ]
However, if you're calling the turn, you absolutely must call the river. Don't contradict yourself by calling the turn and folding the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? If the turn call was a mistake (and it may have been), then compound it by calling the river? I had a good read going into the turn, and a very solid read on the river given his bet. Why in the hell would I call the river?

[ QUOTE ]
by the river, you only have to have a winner 1 in 9 times to make the call correct. Odds I'll take any day with your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm 1 in 9 at best, probably more like 1 in 20. I don't like my odds. I should have folded.

Sparks
Old 10-29-2005, 08:36 PM

Call. It's not even close. You're getting 9-1 and I think he doesn't have a five about 20% of the time.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:46 PM

I call the river just because you don't want other players to start doing tricky plays against you on the river thinking you can fold a hand. It's just asking them to play better against you and try and bluff you out of hands since they know you can lay down a good hand. And I wouldn't have said anything to him, its not a hand reading contest its a poker game, don't let your oppoenent's know anything they don't have to.

i like your preflop reraise as well.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To recommend calling the river is just a game theory answer, and is missing, I think, the nature of this particular hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding the river is a very bad standard play given this board and action.

When you ask a question like this, we can't read your mind. We just go off the info you post. There's no way for us to take into account the strength of your read. If you're so sure you're beaten because you were there and we weren't, then don't expect to get advice of any value. Just trust your read.

That said, no matter your read, calling the turn and folding the river still makes no sense to me.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:36 AM

Is there a chance anyone ever should fold here? Other than maybe Tommy, on one of his expert reads where "The guy paused, blinked twice, pretended like he was looking for the waitress, then tossed his chips in with the ever so slightly forcefullness of (fill in your own blank here)"?

Of course he'd be right. But that's besides the point. Who folds there?
Old 10-30-2005, 02:21 AM

just ignore that line at the bottom was supposed to be for another post
Old 10-30-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think raising is better than folding, but calling is probably best, no you cant fold here, easy call

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I consider a raise here? You think he plays his hand like that with AQ or AJ? I don't.

Sparks

[/ QUOTE ]

I see no reason for a raise and I call the River the majority of the time, as you cannot let them play at you. However, an occassional fold, when your instincts tell you it's the right move, is not bad. Even if it was a bluff, you now will get played at and folds in this type situation are no longer an option the rest of the session.
If you are getting your share of cards, you should make it up later.
There is a big difference between live & on-line play. On-line, this is an unquestionable call, unless you are playing 1 table and know your opponent really well.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fold is absurd online. It's not online, but I still think it would be a bad fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. The difference between online and live, all rolled up in a nutshell.

As far as the live game situation, I was staring right at him, knew how he played (a typical player), and basically there was only one hand he could have, and it was better than mine. In my head I said there was a 90% chance he had that hand, so a fold was actually correct in this case.

In the actual hand, I said "I know I'm beat, you have thus and so." Then called. And lost.

Sparks

What happened to the Live At the Bike 30 game? They killed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And, when you're A+ game saves you a bet, as it did here, advertising the fact that you are on top of your game, as you did here, is a -EV move. Wait to feed your Ego after the session.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do not play 30/60 online. You will lose a lot of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original post has absolutely nothing to do with on-line play.
The difference between playing on-line and live, is the same as a pilot handling an emergency in a simulator (on-line) or under live conditions.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are talking about a player specific read and your inability to act on it, not the hand itself. So possibly...psychology forum might be better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad point. Seriously. I showed my hand, said "I know what you have," then called.

I may have issues.

Sparks

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you folded.....This announcement was worse than folding and announcing you know your beat. You gave up information about yourself and your current mental state, free of charge.