Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 09:05 AM

Default You might hate the way I played this hand

Hope you aren't biased by the title [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, SB here is a true callingstation, a dream to play against! I haven't seen him raise yet, but he's been calling down with at least A-high hands. MP is quite a nice player to have in the pot also. A lot tighter than SB postflop, but very predictable. Will bet into the aggressor when his hand improves, but haven't seen him raise yet. BB is the only half reasonable player, maybe a tad weak-tight post flop.

I have been having quite a loose agressive (preflop) image at the table, but for the last couple of laps, the hands have dried up a bit, so I haven't made a preflop raise in a while. Also, postflop my agression has usually gone down quite a bit (been checking more hands than usual on the flop after a pf-raise).

On to the hand:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB <font color="#A500AF">(Callingstation)</font> calls, BB calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Callingstation checks, BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Callingstation calls, BB folds, MP calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Callingstation checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Callingstation calls, MP folds.

River: (7.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Callingstation checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Callingstation folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 07-19-2005, 09:10 AM

Default Re: You might hate the way I played this hand

Do you always bet the flop in this situation?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:20 AM

Why are you betting the turn with an OESD against a callingstation? I'd take a free card. The raise PF seems marginal and I don't like betting that flop since we have like no hand.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:23 AM

OK, I'll give this a shot.

Based on what I've been learning about pot equity, I'd say betting this flop is incorrect, but you have the button and your opponents play is predictable, so it's not a bad idea, as they'll let you know if they improve (the calling station to a lesser extent).

If they check to you on the turn, I probably take the free card.

I'd like to hear from a more experienced player whether or not the equity edge goes out the window when deciding whether to bet when you have the button against weak opponents...any volunteers?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:25 AM

No, almost never.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:44 AM

I check/fold the flop.

Check-call the river, how you played it I bet the turn.

Too aggressive with no equity. You dont have a hand, this is small stakes we dont bluff people. Play NL for bluffs like this.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:06 AM

Why are you betting the turn with an OESD against a callingstation?

Because MP is still around. And also, I can go for the free showdown UI (hopefully only against CS). If I can fold MP, I probably have around 55% chance of winning this pot UI in a showdown.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:22 AM

*Grunch*

Preflop, I would have probably just called here. Don't see QJ as a raising hand, even with position

Flop, Again I would have checked here, we can't have that many outs, the chances are that someone must have a King, giving you say 3 outs for the str8, and flush, and a couple of outs for pairing your either your QJ. 5 outs total. Check it and see the turn

Turn, ok we've shown aggression all the way through, Bet, your outs have improved nicely, say 8 to the straight, and maybe one for the pair to your QJ.

River, pairing your J, I think you are behind here, to a KK, but with the third heart on board, representing a flush and winning the pot was well played, but I would still be checking it through, because if I had top KK pair I would be tempted to call you down. Thought o be fair with KK I would be reraising you on the flop.

Is this way to weak? Let me know, because I seem to have a problem with this type of hand, and am guessing I am missing value bets all over the place...
Old 07-19-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you betting the turn with an OESD against a callingstation?

I can go for the free showdown UI (hopefully only against CS)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
SB here is a true callingstation, a dream to play against! I haven't seen him raise yet, but he's been calling down with at least A-high hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the calling station is the sort of person who makes the horrible mistake of calling down to the river with A-high, and you're determined to value-bet Q-high so that his calldowns will actually be correct?
Old 07-19-2005, 11:08 AM

it's tough to give biased opinions based on the entire hand. try stopping it on each street or something.

like right now i'm thinking "great play"- but that's because you folded him [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]