Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-14-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: NL 50 6 max easy fold?

Maybe it's just small sample size, but the vast majority of the times that I call bets like this, I lose. Especially with overpairs. Extra-especially when I have a big stack (this is because one of my larger leaks right now is that I'm too lose with a large stack).

Anyone wanna teach me how to ask pokertracker to list only the hands where I call big bets on the river with one pair?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Results/Thoughts/a question

I think AT is more likely to raise me on the flop or lead out, than a set on this particular flop.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:31 PM

I think you will see a missed straight draw here a lot. If he had a set, why would he push into weakness?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:54 PM

My experience here has been rather mixed, and barring a read, I haven't been able to come up with a good plan of action. It seems to me pushes like this could well be bluffs with air, AT or maybe AQ. However, all too often in my experience, people seem to make this play with flopped TP killers and on this board, I would probably call it a set. People tend to have this disgusting fascination with slowplaying until the river, regardless of what is showing on the board.

For this reason, my preferred line with TP/overpairs is to bet flop and turn, draw or no draw, to extract value when all my opponent is doing is calling, but then checking behind on the river to kill an attempt at a checkraise. I've just seen way too many people push the instant they hit strength to automatically call this a bluff. I've seen someone push a 175BB stack at a 7BB pot when he rivered a set.

Pushing into weakness seems like a stupid play to us because we think about what our opponent has. Too many players don't do that and instead only think they flopped a set; they play the hand on autopilot.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Re: NL 50 6 max easy fold?

[ QUOTE ]
Bet that turn. That 2 didn't help anybody. Force villain to make a mistake. If you think you are beat, check behind on the river I would value bet it unimproved 100% of the time).

[/ QUOTE ]
The check behind is standard. Call in a heartbeat.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:36 PM

Your line is certainly a fine one. But (right now at least) I think that my line gives me more options and is great for shania.

If you bet the flop, bet the turn every time and then check behind the river with your TPTK or overpair type hands, then an observant opponent can exploit this. For every time you bet this river it means you have better than TPTK which makes his decision much easier. Plus if he has a set and you bet the flop, bet the turn, it's an easy c/c, c/r for him which puts you in a difficult decision.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your line is certainly a fine one. But (right now at least) I think that my line gives me more options and is great for shania.

If you bet the flop, bet the turn every time and then check behind the river with your TPTK or overpair type hands, then an observant opponent can exploit this. For every time you bet this river it means you have better than TPTK which makes his decision much easier. Plus if he has a set and you bet the flop, bet the turn, it's an easy c/c, c/r for him which puts you in a difficult decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

i find it kind of funny that you're worrying about "observant opponents" at $50 NL. if an observant opponent can read you, you're going to lose value from < 5% of players.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:20 AM

Well, normally i play NL200 n NL400, but i'm trying stuff out. if you can figure out your leaks at lower stakes this let's you move up stakes more quickly. if you base your strategies around being able to beat the lower stakes, then how do you expect to ever become good enough to one day be playing nl1000.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, normally i play NL200 n NL400, but i'm trying stuff out. if you can figure out your leaks at lower stakes this let's you move up stakes more quickly. if you base your strategies around being able to beat the lower stakes, then how do you expect to ever become good enough to one day be playing nl1000.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the other hand, what is optimal at NL200+ will not be optimal at NL50, and may even be losing play, eg bluffing into probable calling stations.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok if you can "fool yourself" into pretending you're playing a different game than you are and this will help you later, go ahead.

to answer your question, you make adjustments and try to play every level as best you can.