Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Wannabe pros and ESPN

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont play that much live poker but....

You should embrace these guys. Neon flashing signs that say I'm a fish are good in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]

-You bring your girlfriend in to the card room and have her sit behind you for hours as you play your blue chip game trying to impress her as shes falling behind as you promise just 1 more round.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always find this hilarious at Canterbury. The last time I was there, a guy at my table got ID'd for an alcohol purchase and had an out of state license. The waitress asks him, oh what are you doing around here. Ridiculously hott gf behind him pipes up, "He's visiting me".

The type of guy that would spend part of his time visiting his gf with her sitting behind him at a poker table really has his values screwed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you didn't chat HER up either, did ya?

[/ QUOTE ]

Had you not pussed out and showed up 4 hours late that night you woulda known that I clearly hit on this girl while at the table and that she even offered to share her dinner with me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 02:40 AM

ill admit i started playing poker after watching the WSOP about 3 years ago. Im guilty of the following:

[ QUOTE ]

-Wore your sunglasses/mp3 player/all in WPT shirt at the 2/4 through 6/12 table.

[/ QUOTE ]
well just the ipod part

[ QUOTE ]

-You call time or take longer then 10 seconds to make a decision at blue chip poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
i occassionally call time to think about a decision, although im not sure if it take as much as 10 seconds.

[ QUOTE ]

-You have ever stared anyone down preflop looking for a tell after they have called the 2 dollar bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
i wouldnt consider it a stare down, but i do glance at them for a second when the flops comes down to see if there are any very blatant tells comming from there direction (only when its heads up though).
Old 07-21-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate for my first post to be a negative one but this sudden boom in poker facination over the last 2 years is great but it has unleashed a whole new crop of wannabe pros who think that if they watch ESPN, buy Supersystem, and know all of the key lines from Rounders, and you are instantly a pro. So being as I have been playing for the last 8 years and have been in the business for the last 6 years. I want to offer a checklist for players so you can know for yourself if you are one of these wannabe dorks who will end up living at your moms house rekindling all your bad beat stories to people in the party poker play money room. So here we go.

You are most likely a wannabe dork if you ever...

-Wore your sunglasses/mp3 player/all in WPT shirt at the 2/4 through 6/12 table.

-Can play both parts of Mike Mcdermit and KGB from Rounders verbatum and have used them at your table.

-You use a board name other then your real first name and last initial. (example: Kid Poker, Rocket Fuel, KGB, Mike McD, Texas Dolly, etc.)

-Youve ever muttered the line "I knew you had that."

-You Dont Tip the dealers.

-Youve said "I was Suited." or "I Knew you had Aces."

-Youve made the claim that you cant win at your local cardroom because you are a "no limit player".

-You call time or take longer then 10 seconds to make a decision at blue chip poker.

-You have ever stared anyone down preflop looking for a tell after they have called the 2 dollar bet.

-You say at anytime to anyone that will listen at your table that you are a pro and everyone else is stupid.

-You ever say the words "I had/have pot odds."

-You bring your girlfriend in to the card room and have her sit behind you for hours as you play your blue chip game trying to impress her as shes falling behind as you promise just 1 more round.

I hope this has been enlighting for you all and if you qualify as a wannabe pro, then dont quit playing but just shut up and learn this game. Remember the best players dont care what people think of them or their image.

Raiter

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you deal at canterbury? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 03:29 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

That was some funny sh*t.

A few made me laugh pretty good. Especially since I got to see a couple just tonight. heh heh

b
Old 07-21-2005, 09:03 AM

I love these people at the table (especially the ones with the girlfriends). They bluff way too many of their chips off in a 3/6 game. They never seem to realize that they haven't had a successful bluff yet. It is wonderful. I say make these guys feel as comfortable as possible. You want to keep these guys around for a while. Make him feel like he is the coolest kid at the table and he will never know you have been taking all of his money.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember the best players dont care what people think of them or their image.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just flat out wrong.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:59 PM

Funny you say that about chatting HER up... I ran over a guy at the Excal last time I was in Vegas and took him for his entire $200 stack in about 45 mins at limit... the whole time chatting up his GF while he was showing her his cards every hand (and she was giving it away). Everytime he would bluff she would grimace... and everytime he had a hand she would lean forward like she was excited by the money he was making.

Funniest thing ever... and the GF was super-hot and very chatting to me as well...
Old 07-21-2005, 03:03 PM

Hi Raiter. Welcome. I think I know who you are. I use PBob as my board name, cuz, well, my friends call me PBob. I know one dealer (I think it was Jacob) was talking about how much he hates it. I was at the table, but didn't know it was me. It made me giggle. On the validity of iPod's, see here. I used to feel as you did, but I could take it no more.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:21 PM

how about...

if you've ever called for "time" in 2-4 while UTG preflop and taken a full minute to make up your mind, then you folded.

al
Old 07-21-2005, 03:21 PM

Did you get to eat a box lunch down at the "Y"?