Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: 20/40 Getting aggressive

4th st is fine, but you're looking at big trouble once he pairs 5th. Maybe it's just me, but when he leads out, it isn't to represent 2 pr, it's because he doesn't want to miss a bet. If he were looking to make a play, I think many guys would check-raise here.

As someone else pointed out, in the best case scenario, he has something like (Ks Jc) Ac, you are just a small favorite. If he has a buried pair over fours or the Ace, you are big dog. You're also never going know where you're at until the showdown, as I think some guys are going to shut down after your 5th st raise even with aces up. Assuming he isn't a wuss, though, you can look forward to getting raised if he makes 2 pr. Personally, I don't think this is the kind of extra hand S+M+Z were referring to, because it is so difficult to know where you stand.

I don't think you mentioned anything in your original post, but did you put him on a hand, or were you just making a move for its own sake?

Michael
Old 12-19-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Re: 20/40 Getting aggressive

Admittedly I'm too tight when playing Stud but I make the same play on fourth and fold on fifth. You're slightly ahead or way behind. You have no reason to think he's capable of laying down any sort of hand and raising there what are you going to when he three bets or leads on sixth. The little edge you might have will not make up for the times you're behind.