Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2003, 01:11 AM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC
Default Did i PLay my BB right this late in the tourney?

UB 20$ NLHE tourney...250 players. down to final 12. i am in 4 or 5th with T22145 in chips. Blinds are 800/1600. I am in the BB with TT. The small blind has been overly aggressive and just came from behind with a string of miracle hands. He has been stealing blinds and making all sorts of loose calls. He has T19500. He minimum raises my blind 1600. I reraise back 9600...too much right...UB has the bet pot button that I always fall victim to. He goes all in and now I have to call. he shows AJ, flops two pair and fills up on the river.. So morg leaves with $50 vs. a very good chance at $1500. Comments welcomed and encouraged
Old 10-23-2003, 04:07 AM

Default I don\'t get excited about pocket tens

As the saying goes, if you're called, you're either a tiny favorite (vs two overcards) or a huge dog (vs bigger pair). You can find better oppurtunities.

Call his raise, look at the flop, see what he does on the flop, and then decide.

At least, that's what I would do.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Did i PLay my BB right this late in the tourney?

You played the hand just fine. Another alternative would have been to move in right away. Since both plays show about the same EV, at this stage of the tourney, your main objective should be to maximize your chances to win w/o a showdown, so you should move in if this would make him muck hands he would otherwise call or reraise with. Otherwise, you can bet 50% of your stack (as you did) planning to move in on the flop, no matter what, trying to making him muck two overcards and therby improving your chances to win the coinflip to 2/3 instead of 1/2. Your EV remains almost the same, as he is about 1:3 to pair on the turn or river.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:07 PM

Default Re: I don\'t get excited about pocket tens

I think AT and A9 would call the raise here in many cases, also 99 and 88...
Old 10-23-2003, 05:29 PM

I would not have reraised here. You already know you are up against a loose agressive player (who is probably feeling good about making his previous hands). See the flop for as cheaply as possible by flat calling his min. raise. You basically have to hit your set to feel confident you have the best hand or maybe overpaired to board. Either way easy fold to scary flop considering small pot and you live to play for a higher finish. My experience is that these type of wild late tourney players will soon run into someone with the nuts. Better to loose 10 small pots and win the 1 huge pot against him.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:41 PM

I would not consider calling instead of reraising in this spot a mistake. I think you could have waited for a better spot to do battle.

If you only call the reraise you can fold if an Ace flops.

Rough spot, I have folded 10's in that spot already. I have also called.