Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Scary board/Overpair/redraw

Here is a hand I played tonight, that Im still confused about. My first thought was to bet, but then I started thinking. (Dangerous I know) I feel like I always get checkraised in this spot and it sucks, so I thought about checking. On to the reads, both of these guys were loose and passive and not good. It seems like the random flop bet is a flush draw a lot because the guys who bet a jack on the flop dont seem to slow down when they do.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $1.
MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG (poster) calls, MP calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, Hero??????

PS UTG is reall the BB converter seems messed up.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Scary board/Overpair/redraw

Easy one for me. Betting every time. Not only do you still have an overpair, but the obvious draws you have picked up. If you get raised, you re-evaluate. Checking here is giving any A/K clubs a free shot, not to mention the multitude of other draws out.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:26 AM

I'm pretty tempted to take the free card here. In fact, if MP had folded to the raise, I probably would. The problem is that he's probably drawing pretty slim (with an 8) and will call a bet, so you get two bets (assuming UTG calls) when you're ahead. When you're behind (to UTG's J or flush), you'll have to pay 2 turn bets but you still have a reasonable amount of equity. (You pay a river bet either way so that can be ignored) So, it comes down to how often you have UTG beat. Against an unkown it's probably close but given the "posted under the gun" factor, I'd bet. (So...ummm, ignore what I said at the start about taking a free card)

Steve
Old 08-04-2005, 03:34 AM

Standard turn bet for me~
Old 08-04-2005, 05:23 AM

Bet this. Also keep in mind that a check-raise at 1/2 pretty much never is a bluff.