Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 12-19-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Having position: could it be mutually beneficial to swap places?

I've never seen this discussed before, but a situation arose a few nights ago where I started thinking about it.

I am a loose player, seeing maybe 50% of flops often for a raise, especially in position. The player on my right is a rock who plays maybe 10% of hands outside the blinds. For the sake of argument lets suppose we have the same expected winrate.

Now if the seat to my left becomes open, it seems like it should be to the rock's benefit to take it and have position on the loose player (me). However I am happy to have him on my left, since I will rarely be in a pot with him. So it seems this change should increase both of our expectations in this game.

I think I'm correct so far. Now -- where does the gain in expectation come from? Is it really so bad for the other players in the game when the two of us swap places? Who, in particular, is likely to lose out here?

I have some ideas for answering these questions, but I'll wait and see what anyone else thinks.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Having position: could it be mutually beneficial to swap places?

[ QUOTE ]
Now if the seat to my left becomes open, it seems like it should be to the rock's benefit to take it and have position on the loose player (me). However I am happy to have him on my left, since I will rarely be in a pot with him. So it seems this change should increase both of our expectations in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea where you came up with this conclusion. And obviously if you two gain some mutual advantage by being in a seat because it is congruent with your playing styles then the other people at the table are the losers. Do you think expected value can just appear out of the blue?

[ QUOTE ]
Who, in particular, is likely to lose out here?

[/ QUOTE ]

The player who can't adapt.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:17 PM

If he has the choice between two empty seats, one to my left and one to my right, he should choose to sit on my left. This is accepted poker wisdom and I believe it is true here -- he will be in proportionally a lot of pots with me. Similarly it is thought that I should prefer the seat on his right.

So my question is - is this really more profitable for both of us? And if so how does having us in this configuration hurt the other players at the table? Is it really possible they will lose more money when I sit on the rock's right than vice versa?
Old 12-20-2005, 01:31 PM

No it is not more profitable for both of you. If he sits to your left, and is a good player, he will be isolating you the rest of the night. When he is on your left he can play a larger range of hands and can reraise you with these hands. This consequently should slow down your style.

Now with these isolating attempts occuring one of two things can happen to the table. The table catches on to the isolations and starts calling the raises and reraising. Causing the table to loosen up. The other result maybe that the table does not catch on to the isolations occuring and will be forced to play tighter.

So to answer your questions, 1. No it is not more profitable for both of you. 2. The seating will force the table into one of two extremes, tighter or looser.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:21 PM

I understand what you are saying and it's an interesting question.
You're gaining an advantage in that you will now have the best position more often than normal. He gains by being to the left of a LAG. But I think you lose a little by having him to your left. Before, when he enters a pot, you can throw you more marginal hands away. Now, if you enter, and he raises, you're trapped in there.
But to answer your question, if there is any gain in EV for the two of you combined, it will come from the person who left the seat to your left and now has taken the seat to your right (it may be a different person).
Old 12-20-2005, 03:18 PM

This response sounds more reasonable, as far as game theory goes. People aren't all donks. Some will adapt to the new table dynamic, and the "equilibrium," if you will, will reset.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. The seating will force the table into one of two extremes , tighter or looser.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Forcing" the other players to ANY extreme (keyword: extreme) is virtually always a good thing; it's a huge part of what the game is all about.

Opponents who ALWAYS call SELDOM win - opponents who NEVER call NEVER win.

I'm not sure as to the validity of the rest of your response but it should be possible - at least in theory - for both you AND the player with whom you switch seats to profit from this switch. If this is so, where the [sic] "+EV suddenly appears from" is no mystery - it comes from the other players.

A (somewhat related) point worth pondering:

Certainly it's easy to imagine a situation where you are in a game where your win rate (or +EV) is increased by replacing a player with a neg. WR (-EV) with a player whose WR is positive. An even better example might be CHANGING a losing player into a winning player being benificial to [another] winning player in the game. (This would require this group play on a regular basis - such as a home game).

If you cannot picture such a scenario, try harder; I see it happen all the time.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:34 PM

I believe your point was already presupposed by RoundTower. I was giving an example of how it can be -EV. I also dont see how a good(TAG) player sitting to your left is ever going to be +EV when you play over 50% of your hands but then again not a whole lot is going to be +EV when you play that many hands.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe your point was already presupposed by RoundTower. I was giving an example of how it can be -EV. I also dont see how a good(TAG) player sitting to your left is ever going to be +EV when you play over 50% of your hands but then again not a whole lot is going to be +EV when you play that many hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know what the game was, the blind structure, the amount of money on the table, or the standard of the other players? Please don't tell me I must have been playing badly. Explain why you think having the rock on my left is worse than having him on my right.

FWIW I think I could play 100% of hands profitably in this game, but 50% more profitably.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:56 AM

Agreed - there's not much short of cheating that will allow you to win if your only mucking every other hand.

But the question wasn't whether switching seats would make you a winner, it was (if I understood it correctly) whether you would IMPROVE.

- BTW, I didn't notice RTs's response; I've been in and out alot the last few days and when I read the OP I have had time to read only a few responses prior to authoring my own.

If RoundTower said the same thing might I resond with . . .

nh, and happy holidays !