Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-21-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: best films of the year

[ QUOTE ]
Syriana, Good Night and Good Luck, and Serenity are easily my favorites of the year. I have yet to see Crash or King Kong, but expect them to be up there.

Film that had me sitting there shaking my head throughout muttering "oh God George what have you done" was....

[/ QUOTE ]

Nnnnnnooooooooooooo!
Old 12-21-2005, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Syriana, Good Night and Good Luck, and Serenity are easily my favorites of the year. I have yet to see Crash or King Kong, but expect them to be up there.

Film that had me sitting there shaking my head throughout muttering "oh God George what have you done" was....

[/ QUOTE ]

Nnnnnnooooooooooooo!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Jesus, that was quite an awkward/funny part in the movie.

Although I did enjoy it, I wouldn't say it's one of the best films of the year.

Here's what good old maddox has to say about it: steaming pile of sith
Old 12-21-2005, 08:27 AM

I saw Batman begins on the plane and didn't even care to put the headset on (had two lovely Belgian ladies as neighbours and came close to making out with one of them). It's funny that if you watch a movie without sound how it reveals bad acting and its stupidity.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:45 AM

I'm a big comic-book-movie-Batman fan and I was disappointed. The fight scenes were sssssoooooooo bad, you couldn't see a thing. Flash-bam-boom, five guys on the ground and you have no clue how they got there.

The Scarecrow? Couldn't they have come up with a better costume? A burlap bag, is that all the guy can do? I remember when supervillians had style.

The tumbler car was cool looking, but wouldn't it be easier to move around on rooftops and evade capture without it? The thing's pretty easy to track.

I thought the performaces were fine, tho Neeson nothing to write home about, and I did like the production design, the whole look of Gotham.

I haven't seen enough of this year's films yet to comment on what might be the best. My favorite so far is probably Sin City. I'd have to think about it though.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

for a minute i totally thought you were talking about "Good Night, And Good Luck" and was confused

i get it now, though
Old 12-21-2005, 03:07 PM

I thought Batman Begins was actually very good... and I've never been a big fan of Batman.

I think its funny how much people's opinions of Crash vary. While I don't think it was anywhere near the best movie of the year, I really don't understand where people are coming from when they say it was rubbish... Is it just that it is overrated and you weren't a huge fan? Or did you really think it was a poor attempt at filmmaking?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:32 PM

is kung fu hustle 2005?

also, best actor for 2005 - andy serkis for king kong, easily
Old 12-21-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even Batman and King Kong, two of my favorites this year, aren't perfect, four-star movies IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to chime in about Batman because I'm a huge Batman homer. When I first saw Batman Begins, the whole time I was saying to myself: "WOW!" I actually saw it multiple times and each time, the crowd stood up clapping at the end of the movie. I haven't seen somethign like that in a long time and from the people I talk to at other forums I frequent, they experienced the same thing.

Now to critique the movie from an objective point of view, I'd say the first 2/3 of the movie were flawless especially the first bit. The character development was just really strong as we journey through the agony and pain with Bruce. Bale does a brilliant job at portraying realistic emotions (ie at the court scene when he's about to shoot chill). The early scenes with Batman were stellar as well. The interrogation scene with Flass was brilliantly done.

Now where does this movie start to tank from an objective point of view? Well as soon as the car chase scene happens. Don't get me wrong, I loved the tumbler as it's more realistic than any previous Batmobiles, but from that point on, the movie just follows a Hollywood explosion type movie. The microwave emitter was a plot hole in itself. I mean, things like this are fine if you're looking for a brainless, summer action movie, but the first 2/3 of the movie was so perfect to end like this.

The ending at the end couldn't have been any better though.

But I agree with you. The film wasn't perfect because of the last 1/3 of the film. It's a real shame

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hugely disappointed in the fight scenes.

What made it worse was the special feature in the DVD about the fighting in the movie. (I saw it on DVD.) It hyped some fighting style a couple of stuntmen made up absolutely to the sky, just over the top gushing praise, blabbed about how Bale was so into it and all, and then in the movie itself it's mostly just a murk of quick shots of upper torso movement. The standard Hollywood quick cuts and tight angles that can make absolutely anybody look like they sorta might know what they're doing.

I liked lots of parts of the movie, but the fight scenes left such a bad taste in my mouth, as well as I think the clumsy, abrupt way that Morgan Freeman was used. Overall I was disappointed in this one, though Bale is a watchable actor.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a big comic-book-movie-Batman fan and I was disappointed. The fight scenes were sssssoooooooo bad, you couldn't see a thing. Flash-bam-boom, five guys on the ground and you have no clue how they got there.

The Scarecrow? Couldn't they have come up with a better costume? A burlap bag, is that all the guy can do? I remember when supervillians had style.

The tumbler car was cool looking, but wouldn't it be easier to move around on rooftops and evade capture without it? The thing's pretty easy to track.

I thought the performaces were fine, tho Neeson nothing to write home about, and I did like the production design, the whole look of Gotham.

I haven't seen enough of this year's films yet to comment on what might be the best. My favorite so far is probably Sin City. I'd have to think about it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL right after I make my comment I see that I wasn't the only one that felt that way.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:51 PM

He didn't act the monkey balls. No performance is complete if you don't act the balls.