Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: What to do when you run bad???

when i run bad i just go buy a new pair of sneakers. that usually fixes things.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:20 PM

Book a win. Even a small one and leave the game. This will help to get your mental edge back. One of the consequences of running bad is that you unconsciously change your playing style. For example, if you are a TAG and running bad..you might find your self becoming more passive. Your brain says..."I have been sucked out so many times....let me see what happens". Then you lose more.

When you book a small win and analyze your play after it helps to build confidence in your game. The next time you play....DO THE SAME THING. If you keep losing then you are either missing some key holes like kyzerjose says or you're just running bad. Try and minimize your loses. Set lower money max lose per session.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:27 AM

When you are running bad there is only one thing to do, stop playing for a while. Maybe a long while.

My play changes dramatically when I'm running bad, I become a wild maniac, splashing chips around and calling down everything. This 'running bad' state can last for days, you can blow your stack before it finally goes.

It pays to be aware of the Jekel and Hyde nature of my game and just stop when necessary.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:43 PM

Here is what I do when running bad online....

Switch games from limit to NL or sit and go tourneys. I know you are probably running bad from unpleasent cards but that can cause someone to misplay their good cards as well.

I know many people oppose switching games from limit to PL, NL, SNG etc but remember the point of poker is to win chips and who says that you need to stick to one variation of poker anyways?

I always come back to my main game (limit he) better and fresher after doing this
Old 12-13-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Switch games from limit to NL or sit and go tourneys. I know you are probably running bad from unpleasent cards but that can cause someone to misplay their good cards as well.

I know many people oppose switching games from limit to PL, NL, SNG etc but remember the point of poker is to win chips and who says that you need to stick to one variation of poker anyways?

I always come back to my main game (limit he) better and fresher after doing this

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I've done. Slow down for a few days, then come back in a different venue (I tend to switch from cash to SnG's, and then back).

Also a book like the Tao of Poker (or the Zen of Poker) can be helpful...
Old 12-13-2005, 06:05 PM

1. leave Stars
2. look for a few good bonus, and play only within a bonus a few weeks

3. 240$ should not be a BIG PART of your roll
Old 12-13-2005, 06:26 PM

I hope your luck turns around... just fyr, 2000k is 2,000,000 hands, 2k is 2,000.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:50 PM

I think we've all been in this situation a few times. Obviously bankroll and tilt management are crucial.
Thru having made some of the most common mistakes, I've developed my own management techniques.
Bankroll management: I NEVER keep any significant portion of my bankroll in my poker account. I've noticed the more money I have (especially after a good run) the more loose and carless I play. I tend to play my best when my backs against the wall and have been very successfull at building a bankroll out of next to nothing. (I turned 3 'free' $10 bonus' at empire into $650). I know the games I have the best edge in, and just pummel those games.
Titl management: I've found that the 300BB rule for bankroll mgmt is too low for me. The more a beat hurts my bankroll, the more it puts me on tilt. I want like 800-1000BB for any level, then the suckouts don't hurt as bad. Imagine losing a monster pot at .50/1 where your opponent hits his 2 outer on the river. If your bankroll is $1200, it's gonna affect you a lot less than if the same hand happens at a 2/4 game. I'm a big proponent of being OVER bankrolled, but not keeping it all in the site.

I also have the benefit of NOT being a full timer(I have a job as a musician that pays the bills and I enjoy very much), and poker is supplemental income and a fun hobby. Takes the pressure off, and I can't imagine how much more pressure I would feel if it was my sole income (and how much less fun I'd be having doing it.) Getting a job will do 2 things for u:
1) take the pressure off the poker income, thus making you more relaxed, and playing better.
2) get you AWAY from the tables for the bulk of the day. You'll probably spend a lot of time daydreaming about poker stuff, and that's good (for your game at least). Burnout is a real thing....it sneaks up on you and is BAD for your game, and ultimately, your bankroll.
Hope this helps.....it's worked for me and I've been where you're at more than once.
Best of Luck
REDDRED
Old 12-13-2005, 09:29 PM

haha now this is a topic i know a lot about...usually i just cry and curse and curse and cry and tilt like a little bitch
Old 12-14-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
haha now this is a topic i know a lot about...usually i just cry and curse and curse and cry and tilt like a little bitch

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at least you have a plan! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]