Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: World Cup Fever

[ QUOTE ]
Brudder,

For someone who seems to know something about soccer, you aren't saying anything intelligent.

It is not 1998 anymore. Just because 98 was in France and 02 was in Asia, 98 is NOT more relevant that 02.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is your opinion...

[ QUOTE ]

The US roster, in fact all rosters, are going to be (nearly) completely different than they were in 1998.

1998 is pratically irrelevant, almost as irrelevant as 1974. FIFA uses previous World Cups as measures to seed teams, but that does NOT mean that previous WC's are a predictor of what will happen in this year's WC.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding...

[ QUOTE ]

It's like saying Brazil will win the 06 WC because they have won it more times than anyone. No, Brazil will (probably) win it because they are the best team NOW. Pele has zero effect on the 2006 Brazil WC team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brazil is the only nonEuropean team to win a WC staged in Europe. (Stated before in 1958 Sweden).

[ QUOTE ]

What happened in the past with different players does not effect what will happen in the future with current players.

-Fink

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck...
Old 12-07-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mean they did take out Turkey on aggregrate in a playoff to qualify, a team which was 3rd in WC2002.

[/ QUOTE ]

This discussion would be far more interesting and productive if you'd focus your arguments on things like this.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is a lot of good in this discussion...

Of course I expect stubborn opposition to a smart arsed foreigner - who resides in the US but doesn't fully support them like the majority of posters on this site.

No problems. I'm glad the US is performing better and that raises the prospects for better coverage here in the US next year.

I will be in Germany and Ukraine during the WCFinals - So I will be also interested in the US and how my birth country Australia performs. A wide range of choices makes for enjoyment in watching the spectacle.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Getting back to the seedings, Brazil aside it's difficult to say how good any of those teams really are at the minute.
The WC is the only time that we see teams from the differing regions playing against eachother in full battle(don't tell me friendlies, they don't count)

[/ QUOTE ]

You've made some good points Brudder RRRRRICK...

Just one correction. There is anudder competition which teams from different Confederations play against each other.

Its not a big highlight but it is usually played 1 year before the WC as a prep or trial run. During our Northern summer this year the FIFA Confederarions Cup was played in Germany. In this competition each confederation champion is invited. Our OZ team was there and - Guess who represented CONCACAF.

It was Mexico!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

True

But again not a great deal can be taken from it.

Nations competing in the Confeds Cup don't take in that seriously.