Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 11-04-2005, 02:38 AM

Default What the hell do I tell a leasing agent?

So, I'm moving to Nashville in a few months to further my efforts in the music industry (Dallas is not exactly a huge hotspot for music, generally). It occurs to me that I'll have to lease an apartment or possibly buy a house. My girlfriend will be going with me -- she's gainfully employed (though makes crap for money), I play poker for a living.

Does anyone have experience with this? Whether leasing an apartment or buying a house, whoever I'm dealing with will most definitely want to know what I do -- apartments I've leased in the past (before I was a professional gambler) always asked for pay records, etc. Can I just tell these people I'm a pro poker player? Will they laugh at me and tell me to get out of their office?

Help, Zoo!
Old 11-04-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Re: What the hell do I tell a leasing agent?

When I asked my father about this, he said that offering large sacks of cash money as deposits or rent paid months in advance is a good bargaining method.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, I'm moving to Nashville in a few months to further my efforts in the music industry (Dallas is not exactly a huge hotspot for music, generally). It occurs to me that I'll have to lease an apartment or possibly buy a house. My girlfriend will be going with me -- she's gainfully employed (though makes crap for money), I play poker for a living.

Does anyone have experience with this? Whether leasing an apartment or buying a house, whoever I'm dealing with will most definitely want to know what I do -- apartments I've leased in the past (before I was a professional gambler) always asked for pay records, etc. Can I just tell these people I'm a pro poker player? Will they laugh at me and tell me to get out of their office?

Help, Zoo!

[/ QUOTE ]

When I moved I told them I was self employed/1099. They said that if I had 6 months of rent in my checking account that they could verify that would be enough. I also had to put down a security deposit. If that worked for me, it should work for you, because I don't have great credit either, but good rental history.

craig
Old 11-04-2005, 03:25 AM

Thanks, I can do that.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:08 AM

i am in your boat. I was planning to pay 1st and last months rent plus deposit, maybe more.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:09 AM

I am still interested in buying a house. that is one I need to get a book on though. not sure how that works. let me know if you go that route.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:21 AM

yep...I've gone through this....self-employed in financial risk/money management business. No more questions ever.

I do have follow-ups if more questions come.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yep...I've gone through this....self-employed in financial risk/money management business. No more questions ever.

I do have follow-ups if more questions come.

[/ QUOTE ]

Such as? I'm interested to know, cause I can just imagine telling someone I'm self-employed in the financial risk/money management business and them looking at me like I'm crazy and assuming I'm either a day-trader or part of organized crime.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:28 AM

When I took a year off from working (before I discovered poker--I truly had no source of income), all it took was 3 months' rent in advance, plus the normal security deposit. Of course, I also had a roommate at the time who was employed.

My own (limited) experience is that it's just a question of how much they'll want up front. If you can afford to pay advance rent, they'll rent to you regardless of your employment situation.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:58 AM

A far as leasing I wouldm't be able to give any guidance, but if you are looking to purchase a home you can get what is called a No-Doc or No Income Verification (NOI) loan.With these types of loans the lender will not use your income to qualify you for the loan, they will look at your assets and also your past credit history to approve you.With these types of loans you typically will need to have very good credit history and some verifiable assets.When you get to Nashville go to Ronnie Milsap's recording studio and ask for Brodie.He is a friend of mine and he is a sound technician there.Tell him Skip from Ocala sent you by ,he might be able to point you in the right direction to get something going there, good luck.