Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2005, 07:06 AM

Default Short handed hold\'em preflop strategy guide?

I'm looking for a starting hand chart or perhaps an article which could point me in the right direction for short-handed preflop.

Currently I'm using SSH Tight starting hand charts (mid, late, sb, and bb). I consider, UTG and UTG+1 as MP on the chart, so I tend to limp in with K9s, Q9s, KJ, etc. According to this article Hypermegachi's 6-Max Preflop Strategy:

[ QUOTE ]
UTG
Open raise or fold. You do not want to call here with anything. The only exception is if the table is unusually aggressive preflop, and you hold AA or KK, and you know there's an 80% chance there's a raise behind you, then you can consider limp-raising. UTG is the worst position preflop, limping can be very costly if someone raises after you. You must open raise to try and get as many people to fold after you, or try and induce mistakes by making them cold call.

As a side note now that I mentioned, cold calling is a HUGE leak in many people's games. This goes in full ring, and it applies in 6max. Do not cold call! Exceptions are if you're on the button and 2 people cold called already, and you hold a suited ace, expecting the blinds to call, etc.

UTG+1
Again the situation is very similar to UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

The article says to either open-raise or fold from UTG and UTG+1. My question is simply, is this correct? And if so, should I be open raising with hands like K9s? Or just AA-TT, AKs-ATs, AK-AJ, KQs-KJs, and fold everything else?