Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Numbers every poker player should know

This ought to be good for another 5 views....

Sixes spends $50 ($25 bounty + Barnes and Noble) to offer readers an interesting topic and something to think about.

And gets flamed for doing so. Nice.

A lot of people might expect an entertaining and off-topic post by the "usual suspects". I'm proud to be among both groups. Thus the number of views.

Too bad that the percentages weren't tied to inane stuff like "Yugo gets laid 2.04% of the time he dates". That would have produced no flameage and some entertainment.

Instead, a respected poster and player presents a topic that offers an opportunity for other players to learn, have a little discussion and perhaps get an answer "right" for profit.

Under these circumstances, who would want to post anything but "Fold KK pre-flop?" or "OT Hampster picture"?

Luck is the residue of design. You get luckier the more you know. The OP was trying to help y'all get more knowledge and share some of what he has learned. Take it for what it's worth. If it is worth nothing to you, perhaps you are "unlucky".

LuckyMcSlack
Old 11-12-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
inane stuff like "Yugo gets laid 2.04% of the time he dates".

[/ QUOTE ]

"Inane" = What you call somebody who takes the $1 "bonus" bet when playing a (+)EV game like Letit'Ride

FWIW...I noticed that the list of %'s were asymptotically approaching zero; I therefore assumed that the #'s represented the chance (stated as a percentage) that 66's was giving himself of getting laid the closer he actually was getting to "Date Night" [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody should know what any of those numbers are, unless it's to impress not very sharp people with useless trivia.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't share this point of view. If you're any good at doing arithemtic in your head, why wouldn't you want to know reasonably precise percentages for the various common situations? It's not like we're talking about ten places after the decimal point or anything.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:36 PM

SuitedSixes--
Thanks for taking the time to post this table. I have never seen it before nor heard about it. I feel that this information will help improve my game, as it will give me a better understanding of what the flop might look like when I'm debating playing pocket pairs against tight players.

I really appreciate the time you took to do this.

Thanks,
Baz
Old 11-13-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody should know what any of those numbers are, unless it's to impress not very sharp people with useless trivia.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't share this point of view. If you're any good at doing arithemtic in your head, why wouldn't you want to know reasonably precise percentages for the various common situations? It's not like we're talking about ten places after the decimal point or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

ilya tell me one practical value for knowing these exact numbers? I mean everyone should have a general feel, but there is no practical benefit to knowing the precise numbers. I mean I couldnt have told you whether the number was 43%, 45% or 41% for JJ, but I knew it aws somewhere around there (I knew it was a bit less than 50%). Not knowing the difference between the above figures would never have a serious impact on my play.

Let's just asy that if you asked Phil Ivey or a horde of other pro players these questions, I would bet that he couldnt consistantly come within 1% of most of the answers, but would come within 3-4%.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:44 AM

Thanks for pointing out these numbers. Despite the criticisms others are offering, I'm glad you brought up this list. It got me thinking about things and I computed a few more numbers. Thought provoking is usually good and this post was thought provoking for me.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:45 AM

You're welcome, Baz.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for pointing out these numbers. Despite the criticisms others are offering, I'm glad you brought up this list. It got me thinking about things and I computed a few more numbers. Thought provoking is usually good and this post was thought provoking for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome, zabt.

(I have quite a following from people with z's, a's, and b's in their names.)
Old 11-13-2005, 12:52 AM

Just wanted to let you know, those PS cards in your link are sweet...I like'm [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The specific link to the PS cards are here
Old 11-13-2005, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to let you know, those PS cards in your link are sweet...I like'm [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. The link to the alternate card art made this thread worth reading for me.