Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 07:08 PM

Default 10+1 Running Badly - Do You Change Your Game?

I'm experiencing a run of cold cards at the 10+1's and am wondering if the best strategy is to just stick w/a tight aggressive strategy or if I should mix things up a little.

I guess the heart of my question is this: When your regular game is getting you nowhere, is there ever a time in a low level SNG to mix things up and try to make something happen before you get into push/fold mode? I'm not talking about doing something maniacal, but rather taking a risk or two that you normally wouldn't take so that you don't end up short-stacked on the bubble w/very little fold equity.

What's happening lately is that I'm so outchipped by the time I get to the bubble that I can't get anyone to lay down a hand. I feel so ridiculously tight for not moving earlier, but my cards just don't seem playable. Since this is my first significant cold streak, I'm unsure of whether I'm doing the right thing by waiting for the bubble or if I should be moving when the blinds are smaller, but my stack is a little more imposing.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: 10+1 Running Badly - Do You Change Your Game?

I'm not sure what you would change your game to... play at the 10s should be quite mechanical.

Maybe you are a little too tight overall, but if so, that's a leak no matter how your cards are running, and it would be a mistake to loosen up just because of bad cards.

STTs where you play one hand and bust out are frustrating, but they happen. Stay the course.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:02 PM

I almost always play ridiculously tight until level 4, then I try to always steal at least 1 round of blinds per orbit. If I'm feeling ballsy, sometimes I'll go for two.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:09 PM

What the [censored]? Am I imagining things or have there been like 55 threads in the past few days about running bad in the 11s? Knock that [censored] off please.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:49 PM

How 'bout a thread about how you can suck my balls?
Old 12-19-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
STTs where you play one hand and bust out are frustrating, but they happen. Stay the course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply. Sometimes I pretty much know the answer before I ask the question, but need reenforcement anyway. It's hard to be sure you're on the right track when you haven't played a statistically significant number of games.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How 'bout a thread about how you can suck my balls?

[/ QUOTE ]

At least that would be original.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:12 PM

Given that there's a finite number of poker topics/questions, I would think that some redundancy would be expected here. And, in case you hadn't noticed, the search function leaves something to be desired.

If you don't want to answer the question, don't. It was clearly labeled. I didn't trick you into reading this thread, nor was it a bad beat post.

Bitching about questions you don't like - now THAT'S original. Rock on, Bones. ROCK ON!
Old 12-19-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that there's a finite number of poker topics/questions, I would think that some redundancy would be expected here. And, in case you hadn't noticed, the search function leaves something to be desired.

If you don't want to answer the question, don't. It was clearly labeled. I didn't trick you into reading this thread, nor was it a bad beat post.

Bitching about questions you don't like - now THAT'S original. Rock on, Bones. ROCK ON!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, someone gets a little grouchy after dropping a few buyins. My point was simply that you could have put this question in any number of related threads that have been created in the past few days.

"Just play your game, review HHs, and it'll all be okay. That or just quit poker"