Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Sanity check with sets, not that deep 5/10 NL

This is probably pretty standard, so let me know if this should be posted lower (or just move it).

5/10 NL, 9 handed
Hero ~1800
Villain ~6000
Villain has been running very well and he is plaing extremely loose and aggro. Few rounds ago he doubled up against another 300bb stack, when he kept chaisng one-card straight to the river and hit. Guy is by no means afraid to play big pots with very marginal hands. He is even looser PF.

I raise JJ UTG to 35, Villain calls in LP, BB calls.
Flop: K J T rainbow pot:110
Hero bets 90, villain raises to 270, BB folds, Hero calls
Turn is a brick. Pot is 650. I check, villain bets 350, I push.

Similar hand.
5/10 NL, 5 handed.
Hero ~1900, Villain covers.
I raise to 35 UTG+1 with KK, villain (solid and aggro player, who I tend to respect) raises to 100 in CO, folded around to me, I call.

Flop(pot:215): K J T, 2 diamonds, I have no diamonds.
I bet 180, he raises to 400 or so, I reraise to 700 (meant to be a pot-sized raise, but I somehow screwed it up). Villain pushes. I call.

Normally I'm more or less happy to get the money in in both spots, but I'm trying to figure out alternative lines in spots like this. Is this pretty much default play or am I missing something?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Sanity check with sets, not that deep 5/10 NL

Hand 1 is fine. Reraising the flop is ok too.

Hand 2 is fine (if you make a proper reraise). He has JJ/TT/AA/QQ way more often than AQ. Is the K a diamond? Is this guy a tight reraiser, or will he do this preflop with weaker hands? If he's a tight reraiser, a turn card will rarely hurt you too much and you can call his weak flop raise and c/r push the turn.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:17 AM

Hand 1 I didn't reraise the flop, because I didn't want to blow the villain off the 1 pair type of hand. He is capable of getting in a lot of money in with something like 2 pairs there, but it would be harder to get more money out of him if I 3-bet the flop. Only thing I am worried about to give a free card is probably KQ.

Hand 2. A lot of scare cards can come on the turn that I am not sure how to deal with OOP. The guy is probably too tight to pay me off with less then a set if he sees a scare card. Hell, he might even let a set go if the flush hits. After I donk-3-bet the flop and he pushes, we can remove big draws from his range, because he was getting great odds to just call. But at that point I call even if he turns AQ face up.

It just feels to me that I play boards like this OOP in a way that helps me to avoid making tough decisions later in the hand, but probably sacrifices some value from weaker hands.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:29 AM

The problem with your line in hand 1 is that the turn c/r is a big bet for villain to call. Reraising the flop gets money in faster, and from how you describe him, he'll call with a Q. I'm not advocating a big reraise; maybe 625ish, since he sounds like a bad player and won't catch on to your devious tricks. This makes the turn a simple push for a little less than pot. I'd prefer your line if you had 1500 behind.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:12 AM

Default I\'m about to give up here...

Seriously, guys, what can I do to get some advice here or at least responses? Fsuplayer just posted a similar hand with more shallow stacks and in position and it already had 19 responses. Now I obviously realize that nobody owes me anything on this board, but it's quite frustrating to be ignored. I don't feel like spamming hands or bumping threads, so what do I do?

If I post a boring hand or there is something else wrong with my posts. people can let me know. I just don't understand what is the point of posting on a public forum if all the discussion is between 20 forum regulars and people they know and everything else goes unnoticed. I don't mean to whine, just trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with my posts (except my username), because it looks like forum does not think it's worthy of discussion.

Since I'm in Bay Area, should I just buy a beer for Daiblo and Flynn so they can bump my posts for me? =)
Old 12-19-2005, 05:28 AM

Default Re: I\'m about to give up here...

Im surprised either hand got that many responses, to me I go broke in both spots very quickly. I dont know the player in FSU's thread (Sonic) so maybe thats why everyone else is giving their 2 cents.

This one, I'm not sure what you're asking either hand - ie, thinking of folding? Getting money in the pot by means of adifferent way?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:28 AM

flynn doesnt live in bay area btw so that will be out of your way to buy him abeer
Old 12-19-2005, 05:38 AM

post one hand at a time and make them readable. use the little icons for the suits etc - posts that are hard on the eyes don't get read. this one is hard to read.

you can even redo this one and try again - just ask azk to delete this one.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, guys, what can I do to get some advice here or at least responses? Fsuplayer just posted a similar hand with more shallow stacks and in position and it already had 19 responses.

[/ QUOTE ]
- your usernake is greypoo... normal ppl dont want to to interact w/ some1 who calls himself greypoo
- your hands are from a live 5/10 game that is most likely donked out w/ all horrible players
- in both of your hands any sane person would be totally thrilled to get allin on the flop... yaaawn
edit- im really tired and misread the screenname (sry!.... however i will leave my post for entertainment value.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:52 AM

Both hands, you'd like to get it in on flop.

Basically, the more donkish player is, the more i 3 bet flop rather than call and c/r turn. Also in hand one, villain can easily have a hand he cant let go of, KQ or whatever.