Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-05-2005, 12:45 PM

Default 3/6 QQ 3 handed vs wild one

Here is a hand I played awhile ago that's been bothering me.

I sat down about 5 minutes or so ago. Villain is sitting on 4 buyins stack (which is pretty rare in that game) and seems to be feeling good about himself. From my previous brief session with him I recall labeling him somewhat donkinsh, but aggressive. He was involved in a few huge pots with very marginal hands, like TP no kicker, but IIRC, those hands were against a maniac on pretty dry boards.

He is trying to run the table over betting and raising left and right. So far he hasn't met much resistance. I have called a few of his pot bets on the flop (not very usual to see pot bets in this game), only to give up on the turn to another pot bet or so.

Hero ~600
Villain ~2400

I pick up Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button and raise to 22. Villain calls in BB.

Flop ($47): A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain bets $50, I call.

Turn ($147): T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain bets $130, I call.

River ($407): 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain thinks and bets $130, I push for ~400 I have left.

What do you think? I'll post my thoughts after a while.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: 3/6 QQ 3 handed vs wild one

Fold flop. Wait for a better spot, this flop is just terrible for you. River push looks like a missed draw, I'd expect this villian to look you up with as little as a pair of aces, so I'd only make this raise for value, which I don't think you're getting here.

JKratzer
Old 12-05-2005, 01:28 PM

If I want to take a stand here, I am probably playing it like you did. However, I don't think this is a very good opportunity. This is a horrible flop for you and I would wait for a better spot.

Dumle
Old 12-05-2005, 01:30 PM

fold flop
Old 12-05-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold flop

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-05-2005, 01:45 PM

Wow, that flop is disgusting. Get out of there.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:00 PM

Guys. I know that flop is disgusting. Yes, I fold it most of the times (might raise it sometimes though). However, there were more streets in the hand. When villain leads for the pot, there are serious doubts it is a monster. No way he is betting a fulsh like that and he probably CR a set. Normally I would give up anyway, but this time I felt there is too good of a chance villain is doing it with nothing/draw/marginal hand, so I called, figuring he would likely give up on the turn with the board this scary. Same thing on the turn, it seemed way more likely that he wanted me to fold, so I was hoping to check behind on the river and see a showdown. When he led so weak on the river though, I thought he might have a hand with showdown value, like an A or two pairs, which would have trouble calling a raise. I mean he's got to worry about what I was calling with on flop and turn.

Regarding the comments about busted flush draw, yes, it might look like it, but
a) he might have been betting with FD himself, hand like K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J
b) I wasn't giving the villain enough respect for that kind of reasoning

Sometimes when it's very short and I think villain is not going anywhere, I don't mind playing a big pot with marginal hands if I think there's a good chance I'm ahead. The additional value is getting more action from villain with legitimate hands and getting a better idea of how he plays in big pots.
So any thoughts on other streets? Fold the turn, fold the river? =)
Old 12-05-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold flop. Wait for a better spot, this flop is just terrible for you. River push looks like a missed draw, I'd expect this villian to look you up with as little as a pair of aces, so I'd only make this raise for value, which I don't think you're getting here.

JKratzer

[/ QUOTE ]

everyone says fold flop. however i disagree. look at that horrible river bet, he's scared. your push is actually awesome, if he ever calls here its a mistake because the 130$ is definetly a blocking bet.