Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 07-09-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Do you/Can you/Would you fold KK here?

looks good. a reasonable hand range for your opponent's holdings has you smashed at this point. leading into this pot just gets you into trouble since he can flat call with a wide range of hands that had draws to nut straights or with sets if he isn't afraid of a heart draw from you. i would need more confirmation on villain's preflop reraising range before i'm ready to dump 50bb's more with just an overpair.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:15 PM

I didn't read the action as carefully as I should have. Obviously, the flop is a tough decision since the $30 is not an all in bet. I agree that you need to bet out or check raise this flop, but the entire situation is created by muddled preflop play.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see what the big deal is here. The guy tried to trap a little with his KK and make sure he extracted value from the hands he was beating. On the flop he's no longer beating most of the hands he was beating preflop, so he cuts his losses. It happens sometimes. You can't win em all.

[/ QUOTE ]

The big deal is that when a 60BB stack puts 20% of it in preflop, he's already trapped. It's crucial to fetch and clean the pelt before the meat goes bad.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:30 AM

Just because someone didn't have the proper odds to suck out doesn't mean we are obligated to pay them off when they do. I tend to do it a lot, and I'm not so sure that I shouldn't have been able to get away from some of them. The most optimistic calculations so far show that Hero will defeat villian's range of hands 50% of the time at showdown. And as it has already been brought up earlier, some of the assumptions made in that calculation may not be accurate (specifically with regard to how likely AK is). Hero made a read on the opposition's range of hands and went with it. The math based upon that read ends up being close (when the probability of AK is reduced). At worst he lost a few dollars of EV by folding, at best he saved a few dollars. So once again, I don't see the big deal. There are surely more significant things to worry about.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:21 AM

I agree the fold was hero's best decision in the hand.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

However, one of the reasons I make a nice chunk of change at internet poker is because I quit winners. I don't say I am going to play x hours, or quit when I am up so many BB's. It's all by feel based upon table situation, my current attitude and image, etc. Poker is my only income right now, and my obligations are minimal, so I can play 24/7 if I want. This allows me to play 6 mini sessions spread out over the day if I choose too. Optimally I would like to win each session, each day, each week, etc. I do it all by feel, no set rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you believe that you make more money playing poker if you quit winners? i am pretty sure you would win more if you would just keep playing (unless you get so scared that you can't continue playing good poker).
Old 07-10-2005, 09:34 AM

The reason he can push preflop is that villain already put in $20 or 1/6th of his stack. Villain will not have AA , 1 in 6 times so therefore, it is +EV , basically.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why did't you move in preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I was being a wuss. I was +$160 on the session at that point in only about 30 minutes (I was only one tabling at this time), and was going to be leaving shortly. He was passive, and so I am thinking, win a nice medium sized pot after the flop. But this flop was the worst possible flop to have for the range of hands I was about 80% certain he had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you had already left. I know this feeling and I've felt it. If you are incapable of playing at your highest level, it's time to go.