Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 04:06 AM

Default Truly donking the nut flush

PokerStars Game #3329609950: Hold'em No Limit ($10/$20) - Seat #5 is the button
Seat 3: Hero ($4353 in chips)
Seat 4: xxxx ($1941 in chips)
Seat 5: xxxx ($1281.40 in chips)
Seat 6: Villain ($5830.50 in chips)
Seat 8: xxxx ($4065.50 in chips)
Seat 9: xxxx ($3874.90 in chips)
Villain: posts small blind $10
xxxx: is sitting out
xxxx: posts big blind $20
xxxx: sits out
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Ah Kh]
xxxx: folds
hero: raises $30 to $50
villain: raises $150 to $200

hero: calls $150
*** FLOP *** [9s 9h 2h]
villain: bets $400
hero: calls $400
*** TURN *** [9s 9h 2h] [3h]
villain: checks
hero: checks
*** RIVER *** [9s 9h 2h 3h] [5h]
villain: bets $400
hero: calls $400

Please, berate the way i played this hand from start to finish. I have been sitting at the table for a few hours already and have not seen villain do anything out of line. He has not been overly Aggro or anything like that. I realize that in order to call a pot sized bet on the flop, I have to think i have big implied odds if i hit my hand, but then when i did hit it i froze up, afraid of the pair on board. When the turn came a heart, I felt that villain would read a flush pretty easily so i decided to check behind and make it appear like i had a medium pair that i wasnt ready to let go of on the flop, something like 88. I was then going to get aggressive on any non broadway river <my read was easily that they had an overpair, so if the river coulda filled them up i woulda played it safer> The river bringing a 4th heart changes my plan. Since i have both the A and K of hearts, the best hand they could have that isnt a boat would be QQ with Q hearts, and i doubt that they would call a reraise with that. Since i thought they wouldnt call the reraise, i didnt want to open the betting back up to them incase they did have an awkwardly played 22 33 or 99. How should i change each street here. How can i play a draw like this on a paired board when stacks are 200bbs deep and i have a lot to risk if they have a boat. Is this an easy call, an easy muck or an easy raise on the flop?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Truly donking the nut flush

How about betting the turn? I like the call on the flop because I think you have no chance of folding AA/KK on a flop like that. Even QQ/JJ may not fold, but you have a lot of good outs, so the call is cool.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:50 AM

bet the turn. raise the river.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:23 AM

Somehow I doubt that B_Buddy doesn't get out of line in several hours. Also doubt that even he reraises anything in SB that can beat nut flush here.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:51 AM

I think i already said it, but the reason i did not bet the turn is because the heart is such an obvious hit. There is about 1200 in the pot on the turn and i put him on JJ QQ KK AA. My plan was to check behind on the turn, and on some dud river, which is about 3/4 of the deck, he would likely lead out for 500 or so and i could pop that up and get a call because my hand is relatively disguised. If i am going to bet the turn, how much should i bet? also, why should i be raising on the river? I understand that i have a very powerful hand, but what hand that i beat will call even the minimum raise? the only hands that he can have that even could have hit this flush card are JJ with Jh or QQ with Qh. I dont think its a tough fold for him to letgo of the 3rd or 4th nut flush on a paired board here. Perhaps i was just tentative because we had over 200bbs in our stacks. I obviously wanted to show this hand down and if i make a value raise on the river, say raising his $400 lead to $1000 im giving him the chance to throw in the rest of his money and put me in a very tough spot. since i have the Ah and Kh, and we can eliminate KxKh from his range, i just dont think that there is a hand that i beat that calls a raise on this river.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:29 AM

that's why you bet the turn, so he can call with JhJ, QhQ.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:29 AM

I don't like the 50.00 preflop raise; Seems to small 70.00 would be a pot raise.

Flop. Calling is good.

Turn. Checking or betting is ok. As you said stacks are deep and you probably don't want too much action since the board is paired.

River. I would raise with the plan of folding to a reraise. It depends on your image and villains tendencies as to how much. I like at least a min raise on the end.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i put him on JJ QQ KK AA

[/ QUOTE ]

his range is much, much wider.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i put him on JJ QQ KK AA

[/ QUOTE ]