Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2005, 12:43 AM

Default A question about interpreting PT AF and reading players

When looking at AF its raise%+bet%/call% and depending on the guys VPIP number generally, a guy with less than .5 AF is passive. Lets say the guy bets once and calls 9 times, his AF is .10 right? I think I've been using this number a little misleading. Against this guy I would probably not semibluff and definetly wouldn't bluff him as you should never bluff a calling station. However, since folds don't play into this he could've folded 100 times and his AF would still be .10 (if I'm wrong please correct me). So, how should I use this number without reads(real reads that is). For instance, I noticed one player today who would often fold on the flop but call down to the river with poor holdings if he did have something and his AF was about .5. Against him I wouldn't bet the river with nothing as a bluff but I would certainly semibluff the flop hoping he'd fold.

Certainly I should still use it(AF) to value bet but a low AF doesn't necessarily mean that he won't fold or folds rarely. Hopefully I'm making a little sense and someone can help me out or correct me if I'm going astray here.

Also, what about when you get mixed reads from someone. Another example, a player would bluff on the river with broken draws but also payed out with weak holdings. If I write bluffer/calling station in my notes that's a little inconsistent. (I'm not talking about a good player here either that would call large pots when he had second pair or something. This guy would call down in pretty hopeless situations but would still bluff a fair amount)