Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 04:55 PM

Default AK Out of Position

$1/2 NL, just sat down.

UTG+1 (HERO, $230) -- Rasie to $6 A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG+2 ($250, I saw him call 2 pfr's before this) Call $6
CO ($190, no read) -- Call $6
Button ($72, loose, I think) -- Call $6
Pot is $27

Flop -- A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero -- bets $15
UTG+1 -- calls $15
CO -- fold
Button -- Raise to $30
Hero -- ???....
Old 06-20-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: AK Out of Position

hmm
i dont really want to fold,
it looks like +1 is going to call,
reraise? i think if he had AQ he would have pushed
Old 06-20-2005, 05:07 PM

A loose player calls in position then minraises you on the flop, I'd put him all in or close to it. UTG+2 seems to be some sort of calling station despite how much money he's made on the table. If you raise to 60, you see how the +2 will react (if he reraises all in, then you put him on a set and youre done with the hand, otherwise you make it heads up) and you put yourself in a good position against the loose shortstack.

edit: reread your post. Flop bet was too small, make it 20+. I'd put the +2 on a flush draw also, make a reraise big enough to discourage that. 57+30=87. Maybe raise another 60 more to discourage the flush draw. It's a big raise, especially if he's slow playing a set, but it seems like a draw to me. if he pushes, get out. if he calls, well, proceed with caution.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:11 PM

you made a really weak flop bet at half the pot with two limpers. It looks like you were begging to get this taken away, and button is trying to do just that. I'd go ahead and make a real meaningful raise here, in the neighborhood of $100 here and see what happens. I would strongly consider folding if button pushes.

As an aside, I think this hand is much different if you make a pot sized flop bet. I don't think you get raised by button in that case. You are realistically only afraid of a couple of hands here, the most likely of which is AQ. I think button could easily have a weaker ace here and doesn't think you have anything because of the weak flop bet.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:13 PM

I raise to $75
Old 06-20-2005, 10:15 PM

Point taken on the weak flop bet. If I was up against one person would that have been fine? I've found myself making 1/2 pot continuation bets when I'm weak, but betting ~2/3 pot when I'm stronger. I guess I picked a bad time to mix it up.

Anyway...I min-raised to $45 to find out where UTG+1 was at (I was perfectly happy to get the button all-in). They both folded.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:28 PM

Nice line. It's like a checkraise for "thinkers." Might be a good tactic to add to the mix, esp. vs. the unskilled aggressives.