Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 10:48 AM

Default JJ OOP with2 overcards on the board

This was my first orbit at this table so no real reads on villians.

I really didn't like being first to act on the turn but was surprised to see it checked through.

The river was a blank so I probably should have bet it, but I still didn't like the overcards and my position.

I think the river check was bad, but what about the turn? Is the check here too weak?

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.00 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (8.00 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, CO checks.

River: (8.00 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 8.00 BB.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: JJ OOP with2 overcards on the board

On the flop you have a pair, a gutshot and a backdoor flush. It's worth a call so it's worth a bet. I just don't get the rest of the hand, I mean, were they ALL on a draw or is that just the most passive group of players ever put on gods earth?
Old 11-12-2005, 11:25 AM

Turns out it was me vs. other underpairs and an A high. It turned out to be a good table, with VPIP in the 40s. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Final Pot: 8.00 BB.

SB has 5s 5d (a pair of fives.)
Hero has Jh Jd (a pair of jacks.)
UTG+2 has Ad Jc (high card ace.)
CO has 9c Td (a pair of nines.)
Hero wins 7.50 BB.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The river was a blank so I probably should have bet it, but I still didn't like the overcards and my position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange hand, and I think this is the interesting part. Preflop and flop are pretty standard, and the turn would be a [censored] place to get raised. By the bye, when you checked the turn, would you have folded to a late bet?

I think this river's gotta be a bet/fold. I don't think that 1 in 100 micros players have the discipline to let the turn check through so they can raise the river, so when the blank falls I think you're ahead. The other option is to just keep firing until somebody plays back at you (so bet the turn, bet the river, if you get raised on the turn call the raise and fold the river UI)...that sometimes works well at loose micro tables.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:28 PM

My plan was to fold to a bet on the turn. I figured that one of these guys had at least a Q.

I think you're right about the river. I should have bet it. And I think the "firing away" strategy is often a good one, but I was hesitant to fire on the turn with 3 behind me.

I think I cost myself 1 or 2 BB by checking the river, so that check was a mistake.