Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Anyone work fulltime and play 30 hrs or more a week?

Im a student so basically I play about 30 hrs a week and study which is no big deal at all.

But down the track ill have a job so Im just wondering if its viable to maintain my current level of play when working?

Id seriously doubt it as id imagine the last thing ud feel like doing after work is spending another 4-5 hrs at the computer.

But Id like to hear anyones thoughts on this.
If there another recent thread like this just point me in that direction please.

Thanks all
Old 02-25-2005, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Anyone work fulltime and play 30 hrs or more a week?

for a while, while building BR and needing money, i tried to put in 40 hours a week on top of school and all. honestly, it's doable, but it sucks. really depends on how much you value weekends (where your best money comes from) and how much you value money.

for what it's worth, I stopped playing online once the whole "time to get ready for real life" thing set in.

fim
Old 02-25-2005, 05:21 AM

I guess it depends on the type of work that you do, but I'm in front of the computer all day at work. If I play every night for a few hours after work, my eyes stop working by Friday.
Also, if you don't have a 9-5 job, and you've got a decent job instead you're likely to work longer hours, and you won't have 4 hours to play every night.
I think 20 hrs a week is manageable (taking the weekends into account), but I find more extremely exhausting.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Loc: takin turns dancin with maria

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap that's such a damn good song. But I've only heard the Johnny Cash version.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:41 AM

When I was a student, I used to play a couple of evenings a week when i could get to my local cardroom. Then when I first started working, I was young and free of other responsibilities (heck, i only used to wash dishes once a week!), and thought nothing of coming home from work to play 6 hours of poker online, followed by 4 hours sleep, then off to work again. lather rinse repeat.

Then I got a steady girlfriend.. my job became more important.. and it became harder. I had lots of friends, and there were many exciting things to do and places to see. By my mid-twenties it was a case of 1-2 nights a week getting 2-3 hours on the puter (and if that was without interruption i'd feel blessed!).

Then I got to my late 20's.. marriage loomed, as did kids. My family started calling me for favours.. I bought a house.. my day-job very time consuming and taxing.. all of a sudden it became a case of getting two days a month set aside for poker.. or times late at night when no-one else can bother me!

Its not all doom and gloom though!

Now i'm in my early thirties.. kids are past toothing and are old enough to be a bit quieter than babies, yet young enough to be asleep by 7pm. I'm much more experienced in my day job now.. which means life there is not as stressful.. plus having a family puts all that into perspective. My wife loves the poker related treats I buy her, so she gives me all the time I want to play. My friends all have families of their own, and my family dont even pester me any more, coz they know I'll be after a baby sitter in return for any favours ;-)

I wouldnt worry about when you start working and not having time for poker. Its one game that lasts your entire life, as an elderly man in vegas once told me.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:33 AM

[My wife loves the poker related treats I buy her, so she gives me all the time I want to play.]

I might be able to use the details [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2005, 09:37 AM

I work about 50 hours a week, play poker about 20 hours a week (mostly late in the evening). Plus I'm married, and spend plenty of time with my wife. I have a house, etc.

Just decide how much you want to sleep....
Old 02-25-2005, 10:27 AM

I work the 9-5 grind. We'll say with commute time I work a 50 hour week. By the time I get home, I have about 5 hours to myself and I'll usually spend 3-4 of that playing poker. That's Mon - Thurs. Friday and Saturday I almost never get more then an hour of poker in as I tend to go out. Sunday is a toss up. I either play a bunch or not much.

So I guess in a given week I'll put in between 15-25 hours. Hardly ever more, never less.

Note that I still live at home and a lot of my time spent away on the weekends is purely to get away from the house and parents. If I were living on my own (which I will be soon, hopefully), I may stay closer to my computer on a fairly regular basis and get some time in on the weekends.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:58 AM

I'm in the same position as the previous poster, 23 years old, working 45 hours a week and playing poker at night usually between 2-3 hours. Now that is a [censored] grind. Let alone the fact that my job is extremely boring, and after the hour long commute home, I sit in front of the computer for another 2 hours trying to grind out a profit 4-tabeling. I will say that it's not a very enjoyable life.

My whole week is just a blur of numbers and concentration, which drains my body of all it's energy, until I can get to the weekend where I actually have time to unwind. The reason I play after work is to prove to myself that I can do this as a job, because I plan on quitting my "real" job in the next 3 months. I plan on playing to make money while attending school to get my Financial Planning certificate and eventually be a financial planner as my full-time job.

It's not very fun, lets put it that way.

kevin
Old 02-25-2005, 11:23 AM

When you say "financial planning certificate" do you mean CFP?