Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 11:16 PM

Default Re: The Ultimate Question

[ QUOTE ]
Don't Jews believe the infusion happens after forty days?

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong, but I think the Jewish view is that the fetus is a 'potential' life, rather than a life, until birth. I think it's Exodus: 21:22 that states that the destruction of a fetus is punishible by a fine (as opposed to Murder, which is a capital crime). Also, the Talmud is clear and graphic in it's view that until the greater part of the head is delivered, one must sacrifice the fetus to save the mother.

It was Aristotle who held that the soul enters the male fetus after 40 days, and the female fetus after 80 days.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: The Ultimate Question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But the "moment of conception" can't be right, even if the God infusion theory is right. Because of twinning.

[/ QUOTE ]

David-fantastic observation.

I'll consult for the official Catholic answer, but I speculate that if God knows that there will be twins, the soul infusion process would not be complete until the twinning process is finished.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you can just say 2 souls infused into 1 cell because they will soon split. Since this isn't a biological thing (soul infusion), it can't be constrained by biology making such a thing impossible.