Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Festa al Lago....Gigabet is weak tight at heart.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm always amazed by the sense of entitlement people on this (and others) board have.

The answers don't have to be in the back of the book to make the problem worth attempting to solve.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be so, but I nor the majority of the forum can simply come up with the answer to lucky's problem. It's like asking a 7th grader to solve a calculus problem.

Lucky, some hints would be nice.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably donk it and just check/call all the way, maybe leading a little on the river. I wouldn't want to go broke in this spot, especially with those chips, but I still don't think I could fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why play this hand, or any hand for that for that matter, if you cannot get real value. If I am check calling, trying to get a cheap showdown, I add right around 10% to my stack(I imagine the pot would be around 12k at the showdown), that is for the times that I win. The times that I lose the hand, playing that way, I will lose more than 10% of my stack, because he is going to be betting more, making the pot larger, and allowing himself to make even larger bets on subsequent streets.

This line of play is a leak, that I see all of the time. Most players know that in situations where you are either way ahead or way behind, that it becomes obvious that either raising or folding is much better decision than all others if you could see the others cards. But since the cards cannot be seen, most players choose the middle ground, which is to call. That is faulty thinking, it is almost always better to pick one of the options that has a chance to be much better than all other possible decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

But how does calling the flop and donk-betting the turn gain the most value? Why didn't you reraise the flop or check/raise the turn then? Do you think Dan is paying off turn and river value bets with a worst hand? Do you think he is folding a better hand? I understand what you are saying about getting value, but I don't agree that your line gets the most value.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:32 AM

It just seems that a tight thinking player would be willing to throw a lot of chips around in a blind to blind confrontation against you.

I personally think you made a mistake in calling his flop raise and leading the turn again. If you had the intent to do this, wouldn't reraising the flop help define both your hands a lot better?

But I think with the spot you got yourself into, the fold is correct becuase you have no good line for the river.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Both this and the 72o hand (which I don't think is anywhere near what you really had) are completely retarded, so congratulations. Why is it you never post hands where the action is, you know, the right one? Instead it's obscure and intensely questionable plays designed to make it look like your game is so far beyond the rest of ours that we can't possibly fathom it. Have you ever done something normal, like open with AA, or fold 83o?

[/ QUOTE ]

Next Gigabet post should read something like this.

"1500 players left , Stars $11 rebuy. I have AA UTG first hand and I raise to 120 chips. The big blind reraises for his whole stack, and I call.

My reasoning in this spot was that a) I can rebuy and b) I know I have the best hand.

I hope that thinking about this play, particuarly the size of the preflop raise, will encourage others to think about new and challenging situations that they have never been in before."

Lori
Old 10-22-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Next Gigabet post should read something like this.

"1500 players left , Stars $11 rebuy. I have AA UTG first hand and I raise to 120 chips. The big blind reraises for his whole stack, and I call.

My reasoning in this spot was that a) I can rebuy and b) I know I have the best hand.

I hope that thinking about this play, particuarly the size of the preflop raise, will encourage others to think about new and challenging situations that they have never been in before."

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. There are an awful lot of posts like the above and Gigabet does post interesting situations.

The 72o hand is quite possible given Gigabet's style. He certainly could have just been bluffing with some junk hand.

The Harrington hand, however, just doesn't make sense unless there is something everyone is missing. Gigabet is only behind a set. According to his book, Harrington randomizes his play, so he might have flat called with 33 or 44, but he probably would have raised. Secondly, Harrington's flop play does not seem likely with a set or a weak underpair. Thirdly, this is blind versus blind versus an aggressive bluffer, so Harrington could be bluffing or have the same or weaker 2 pair. Granted, the way Harrington is playing it, he has to have a big hand or be bluffing or semibluffing big.

The key questions are would Harrington play J3 or T3 this way? How likely is it that Harrington is bluffing or on a draw? Would Harrington play 33 or 44 this way?

If you are Harrington and you have J3, how worried are you? Gigabet didn't raise preflop, so he probably doesn't have a pair and a lot of people would raise with JT. Gigabet is aggressive, but unpredictable, so 33, 44, and JT are possible, but unlikely.

I also think there is a good chance Harrington would play a straight draw this way, given Harrington's TAG style and Gigabet's reputation. He also likes to use his tight image to make big bluffs against LAGs.

It seems like the possibilities of a weaker 2 pair or a bluff or semibluff are more likely than a set.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All of you are missing a very important aspect of this hand that seperates it from any hand that most of you have ever played. I don't necessarily agree with the hand, but I am open minded enough to see the reasons behind it.

[/ QUOTE ]

such as, playing against Dan Harrington? quite different, indeed!

after dan's raise: ~58K in pot
left to call: 18K
Giga's stack-18K= ~82K

I think that Giga would have to raise all in just to deny dan pot odds for most drawing hands, and perhaps that isn't wise at this stage in the mtt. I know people aren't thinking that dan has something along those lines, but against someone like giga, playing a drawing hand aggressively might be the correct play. just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Giga's stack-18K= ~82K

I think that Giga would have to raise all in just to deny dan pot odds for most drawing hands, and perhaps that isn't wise at this stage in the mtt. I know people aren't thinking that dan has something along those lines, but against someone like giga, playing a drawing hand aggressively might be the correct play. just thought I'd throw that out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you should fold top 2 pair on the turn, because you might be up against a straight draw?
Old 10-22-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Giga's stack-18K= ~82K

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you should fold top 2 pair on the turn, because you might be up against a straight draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know what I'm saying. :P
Old 10-22-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

just trying to figure out the rationale of someone who plays levels MUCH higher than i do [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]