Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: What do you think about this quote?

[ QUOTE ]
At first I thought of this as just a poor choice of words. Obviously nothing about these guys' situation is working out very well. But then I listened to the complete soundbite and the most insensitive thing in my opinion is when she goes on to say "it's sort of scary how everyone wants to stay in Texas." I can see how a city like Houston would be dreading a massive influx of poor people with no jobs, no houses or nothing of anything, but to go out and say it's kind of scary that they are wanting to stay is pretty damn heartless. Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

It was an insensitive thing to say under the current circumstances. This is not the time to be worrying about that, or at least not making public statements about it.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:32 PM

I think in the race to hate Bush people aren't thinking about the issues enough.

Is it possible that some of these kids are saying that they are eating better now than they were before? Yes, it is. I know that's a sad statement, and I wouldn't wish this situation on anyone...but can everyone quit taking all of their frustrations out through name calling, and try and be a part of the solution?

*dismounts soapbox*
Old 09-06-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Fine I\'ll be devils advocate...

Phht, ya what a bitch, saying out loud what most of us middle to upper middle class people working 50 hours a week say around the dinner table or to our friends at the bar.

If you don't think poor and homeless people from states around the area that weren't even affected by the hurricane aren't rushing to get part of the handout paid for by our increased taxes and insurance rates next year, you truly do live in fantasy land.

"Hmmmm. lets see. I had nothing and now its all gone. Now I've got a roof, food, noone even expects me to work and I bet I'll get my full welfare checks once the gov can figure out how to get those to me. Plus I can get on TV (I mean other than when I was carrying those 30 cases of cigarettes out that broken window) If I could only find the best crack dealers here in the dome I'd be all set! Jeez good think I can't afford a car, you see how much gas is nowadays! Boy this Astrodome is getting kinda filthy.. wonder where they'll move us next... I bet I can string this out for months."

Give me a break.

Pack
Old 09-06-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Her quote has nothing to do with who is paying. She is saying that the astrodome is perfectly acceptable for poor people, and the implication is that if suburbanites got evacuated, we'd better find some luxury accommodations because that's what they're used to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get that sense at all. I read it as these people can't pay for something themselves so we've found something acceptable for people that can't pay their own way. If they could pay their own way, then they'd pay for something ebtter for themselves.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What does that say about the family she raised? You be the judge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this quote is very telling and it just reinforces what a lot of us suspected about people from priviledged families being in charge of our country. They are OUT OF TOUCH. Just because a family is poor does not mean they are ignorant and uneducated and don't need respect just like any other family.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Fine I\'ll be devils advocate...

[ QUOTE ]
Phht, ya what a bitch, saying out loud what most of us middle to upper middle class people working 50 hours a week say around the dinner table or to our friends at the bar.

If you don't think poor and homeless people from states around the area that weren't even affected by the hurricane aren't rushing to get part of the handout paid for by our increased taxes and insurance rates next year, you truly do live in fantasy land.

"Hmmmm. lets see. I had nothing and now its all gone. Now I've got a roof, food, noone even expects me to work and I bet I'll get my full welfare checks once the gov can figure out how to get those to me. Plus I can get on TV (I mean other than when I was carrying those 30 cases of cigarettes out that broken window) If I could only find the best crack dealers here in the dome I'd be all set! Jeez good think I can't afford a car, you see how much gas is nowadays! Boy this Astrodome is getting kinda filthy.. wonder where they'll move us next... I bet I can string this out for months."

Give me a break.

Pack

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazing.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:39 PM

I'm no fan of the Bush clan. And there's no doubt that she's not choosing her words carefully. But then, there's not much she can say that isn't going to implicitly criticize junior, either...

I don't read "scary" as meaning "we're afraid of all these poor homeless people sticking around". If they stick around, there'll be money to be had. (Like in Iraq, but that's a different thread.) I read "scary" as in, like,

"Don't you want to go back to your home and rebuild?"
"No, we'd rather stay here."

Scary as in mindblowing. She's probably thinking, you know, if the situation were reversed, everyone would be chomping at the bit to get back to Texas and rebuild.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Fine I\'ll be devils advocate...

the poor and homeless from non-affected areas are probably a tiny percent of people receiving the aid. and if they do, that's ok. they're poor and homeless. why do people get so angry about the poor?

always treat the poor and homeless with kindness and generosity. seriously.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this quote is very telling and it just reinforces what a lot of us suspected about people from priviledged families being in charge of our country. They are OUT OF TOUCH. Just because a family is poor does not mean they are ignorant and uneducated and don't need respect just like any other family.

[/ QUOTE ]

On average, they actually are ignorant and uneducated. However, they do deserve the same basic respect we give others. I'm still not reading her quote the same way you are though.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:41 PM

btw, this should be moved to Politics forum.