Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Don\'t Use Prophecy!

Party Poker sent me an e-mail yesterday saying that that I was using illegal software and using it again would mean forfiture of the funds in my account (over $7,000). I e-mailed them back and apparently the bad program is Poker Prophecy. I am rather pissed about basically being called a cheater in the first e-mail and being treated like this as I pay them a so much in rake every month and their term and conditions are so vague. It's very scary that they can just take your money. I'd suggest everyone stop using it. Here is a copy of the second e-mail. Anyone else have anything similar happen?

[ QUOTE ]
Dear xxxxxx,

PartyPoker strictly prohibits usage of programs that:

1) Automate playing of the hand in any way
2) Participate in collusion or any other cheating methods
3) Use any information which may provide you with an unfair advantage through cheating

We detect and block programs that fall in any of the above categories. Usage of such programs may result in poker account closure and funds forfeiture as per our Terms and Conditions.

Our system has detected that you have been using ýPokerprophecyý, ýPokerprophecyý falls in the above categories and usage of ýPokerprophecyý will result in poker account closure and funds forfeiture as per our Terms and Conditions.

Sincerely,

Karthik
Investigations Team
alerts@partypoker.com

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-09-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Don\'t Use Prophecy!

Is this for real? I don't have PProphecy, but isn't it just a website you use to check stats? How would they know you are using it unless they are sniffing your packets or rooting around your computer?
Old 07-09-2005, 02:17 PM

Did you use their software or were you accessing their system on a web based browser?
Old 07-09-2005, 02:23 PM

Yeah, it is definitely for real.I also got a mail about this. Poker prophecy used to be just a website, but nowadays is a program you install on your computer.

Check this huge thread in the Internet Gambling forum:
Disturbing Email

There has been a lot of discussion and confusion as to if PokerTracker and/or PlayerView/GameTime are also forbidden. It seems like it is only Prophecy for now.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:31 PM

This is def for real. I have no idea how they knew I was running it. It's rather scary. The first e-mail I got was the same as in the thread Gonzo linked to; however, my reply wasn't nearly as friendly as his. It was basically "I'm withdrawing all the money in my account and won't play again until you are more specific about what is banned."

Does anyone know what other programs are banned?
Old 07-09-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you use their software or were you accessing their system on a web based browser?

[/ QUOTE ]

Used their software.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Even if it is a program, it shouldn't transmit anything to party, so they would either be looking around your hard-drive or sniffing your packets. Either way, that doesn't sound too great. Maybe there is another way that I don't know about though. I assume PProph didn't give up their users.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:36 PM

It is somewhat ironic that they can detect the program but can't stop people spamming the url at the tables.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:37 PM

i was shocked that prophecy changed their interface from web to downloadable program. it seemed like a terrible move for basically exactly this reason.

i have never, nor will i ever, use(d) prophecy, for a variety of reasons. that's my disclaimer.

but if you've been using it, and it's against the T&C of the site, well, sucks for you. they are entirely within their rights to forfeit the funds.

citanul
Old 07-09-2005, 02:42 PM

I think you can use the GetProcesses() command or something like that on Windows to get a list of the processes you have running. It wouldn't be too hard to get the list of processes and search for Prophecy. I read on the Internet forum that some people are getting around this by using VMWare. Seems like a big hassle to me.
Closed Thread