Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 12:31 AM

Default Handling a straightforward players tricky minraise...

Party 30+3. Button has not done anything of this nature up to this point, having played a pretty ABC SNG; was tight early, stole blinds with opportunities (didn't overdo it), and made his raises all-in when he was below 10xBB.

Seat 3: Button (1960)
Seat 6: LimpGoat (4945)
Seat 9: Big Blind (1095)
LimpGoat posts small blind (150)
Big Blind posts big blind (300)
Dealt to LimpGoat [ Jd, Ah ]
Button raises to 600
LimpGoat ...

Should this be automatic? Out of character minraises seem to be one of the few things that will slow down my multitabling.

Initially, I thought Button felt his hand was good enough to take BB to showdown, but wanted to give himself an opportunity to fold if I came over the top of him. But his play thus far had been very solid, and I couldn't see a thinking player committing a third of his stack and folding when the minraise is just begging me to come over the top with any 2. Does he want my action here? Perhaps a premium pair or a powerful ace?

...And I continue this kind of thought process to the nth level, trying to decipher the meaning of this play he decided on in seconds, as 25 people at my other tables hold down their "Z" keys.

To summarize, how do you guys play this? Would you push most hands to exploit it's apparent weakness, or do you tighten up, fearing trap, and respecting this odd minraise more than an all-in?
Old 11-19-2004, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Handling a straightforward players tricky minraise...

Considering you have this great read, you can fold. However, generally, how good a read do you have at this level when playing 4 tables?

Against the average 30+3 this could mean he has 22, 87 suited, or whatever.... hands that he min raises at EVERY LEVEL because he simply doesnt understand tournament play, like 90% of all party players.

With your read I fold and look for another hand. With little read I autopush and never look back. I tend not to have great reads while multi tabling... and when I do, its rarely that a player is solid.