Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2004, 04:46 PM

Default new to 2+2...

Hi All,

I have a couple of newbie questions:
How do ppl post their hands with the Hero, UTG, etc etc...do they type it all in manually? or is it exported from Pokertracker or something?

Also, what is MP in this context? "utg" = "under the gun", "hero" = "you", "BB" = "big blind", but I can't figure out what "MP" stands for.

Also, "3-bet" means 3 times the big bet in the hand?
Old 10-08-2004, 04:56 PM

Default Re: new to 2+2...

[ QUOTE ]

Also, what is MP in this context? "utg" = "under the gun", "hero" = "you", "BB" = "big blind", but I can't figure out what "MP" stands for.

[/ QUOTE ]
MP is "middle position". For a 10-seat table generally you would have SB, BB, UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2, MP1, MP2, MP3, CO, Button.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, "3-bet" means 3 times the big bet in the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not related to small bets or big bets. For any of the four rounds of betting, it means that some one who acted before you bet, someone else raised it and you are now re-reraising - thus you are placing three bets into the pot at once.

If someone bets, you call, someone after you raises, you call again and someone after you raises again and you call this, you have still ended up placing three bets into the pot this round but this is not a 3-bet.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:24 PM

link

one of the poster's here, bison, made the great converter for hands. follow the link and the directions are there for you.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:39 PM

Slight correction to "3-bet". 3-bet simply means the third bet going into the pot on a round of betting.

Example: I bet out on the flop, everyone folds to the button who raises, I 3-bet, and he caps it.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Slight correction to "3-bet". 3-bet simply means the third bet going into the pot on a round of betting.

Example: I bet out on the flop, everyone folds to the button who raises, I 3-bet, and he caps it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And just in case you didn't figure it out yet, a 3-bet refers to limit poker, not No-Limit.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:28 PM

Welcome to the forums